Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to respray a cane chair?

CPA41
Finding My Feet

How to respray a cane chair?

IMG_2221.jpeg

  

Hi I would like to respray this chair. The rattan has been damaged by the sun and varnish has peeled off. I just love the chair as it is so comfy but it has been at my sons house for a while unfortunately in the sun. Otherwise in great condition. There is a pic of what is used to look like. Thanks 

IMG_2219.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to respray a cane chair

Hello @CPA41 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repainting your cane chair.

The sun damage is not too bad, but it has bleached the rattan weave. I recommend using Feast Watson 1L Woodclean, it's ideal for rejuvenating grey, weathered timber. Woodclean is suitable for restoring decking, outdoor furniture, fences, pergolas and other exterior woodwork.

Once the chair is clean and rejuvenated, I recommend using a Clear Exterior Varnish to seal the chair.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask when working on your restoration.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you restore cane furniture?

Here are some cane restoration discussions that might help:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects