Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore a fireplace?

berncurtis
Finding My Feet

How to restore a fireplace?

Hi, have just joined and looking forward to receiving some advice and ideas on current project.

We are restoring the hearth on our original 2 Victorian fireplaces. The current layer is like black slate and in most parts crumble like ash. 

Would like to change all together and lay down tiles. Anyone out there who has done this and if so can it be achieved doing it yrself?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore a fireplace?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @berncurtis. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a fireplace.

You might like to post pictures of the fireplaces, so our members can better understand what you're working with. They'll then be much better placed to offer practical advice.

Is this the external section of the hearth, or do the tiles inside the fireplace also need replacing? If this tiling is outside the fireplace itself, and the substrate under the slate is in reasonable condition, then you can complete this work yourself with suitable heat-resistant tile and tile glue.

I'll be looking forward to seeing those images and assisting further.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @berncurtis,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust that you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our clever and creative members. 

As Mitch said, it would be great to see some photos of your fireplaces so members can see what you are working with and provide more specific and helpful advice. Please let me know if you need a hand uploading your images or if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site.

Jason

berncurtis
Finding My Feet

20221013_102906.jpg

20221013_102822.jpg

  

20221013_102814.jpg

20221013_102714.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @berncurtis

Thank you very much for posting those photos of your fireplace. Before you begin any renovation of your fireplace, I suggest checking your local council's rules and regulations regarding hearth sizes. @MitchellMc's recommendations are spot on and that's any material you use for your tiling should be heat rated for fireplace use. There will also be rules on where you can place a mantel and how near decorative finishes can be placed next to the fireplace.

I always recommend drawing up some plans and trying to decide what kind of look you're going for. Are you after a modern look, an English traditional or a retro-modern feel? Just keep in mind that keeping a neutral look will allow you to keep changing the accessories around the fireplace without it having to look out of place.

Let me call on our experienced members @craftyhopper and @Jimi for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks so much Eric.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects