Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore mid-century rusty floor lamp?

LolaC
Just Starting Out

How to restore mid-century rusty floor lamp?

Hi, 

I have this beautiful mid century floor lamp that is showing some oxidation/rust especially at the base.

Do you have any suggestions on how to restore it or make it look better? 

Thanks 

IMG_20231129_171434.jpg

IMG_20231129_171439.jpg

  

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to restore mid-century rusty floor lamp?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @LolaC. We're delighted to have you join us and trust you'll find our site a handy resource for all your home improvement and garden projects. 

Thanks for your question on restoring your lamp. Our D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be online later today and will be happy to assist.

Let me call upon our ever-helpful members @Cocoplum@EleventhCoastal@sandy_d and @JoeAzza for their thoughts in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cocoplum
Building a Reputation

Thank you @Akanksha 

Hi @LolaC 

@EricL can suggest some products for each. Options are paint, wax, or clear coat varnish. Whatever you choose, you need to clean the rust first with a metal brush. And clean well afterward. You are awesome for trying to save it🥰

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @LolaC 

Thanks for sharing your question about restoring your mid-century floor lamp.

Looking at the condition of the metal surface it probably had a high gloss finish at one point. Unfortunately, rust has started to invade its surface. I'm afraid there is no choice but to sand the surface clean, I suggest either using a Flexovit 100mm x 1m 400 Grit Wet And Dry Sandpaper Roll or a Josco 100mm Strip-It Wheel that you can attach to cordless drill.

Both will clean the surface and remove the rust, but the Josco Wheel is easier to control, and you can sand the surface in straight lines. After sanding everything down and all the rust has been removed wipe it down with a damp rag and let it air dry. If you like the new finish, you can seal the surface with a can of clear coat such as White Knight 310g Clear Gloss Squirts Spray Paint

But if you are thinking of colouring it, I suggest using a primer such as Dulux Duramax 340g Flat Metal Primer first then painting it with a topcoat of your choice.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects