Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal doors?

nsavi
Growing in Experience

How to seal doors?

Hello

I am looking for some suggestions for door seals for the edges. There's is cool breeze of air coming in from outside which makes the whole house colder often and as a result we have to operate the room heaters all the time.

Thank you 

20220803_102535.jpg

20220803_102444.jpg

20220803_102424.jpg

20220803_102457.jpg

   

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal doors?

Hello @nsavi,

Thank you for sharing your question about sealing your door. If a cold breeze is passing through the gaps of your door, I suggest installing a strip of Raven 5m White Superior Door And Window Weather Strip on the inner perimeter of the door frame. As for the bottom portion of the door, I recommend closing the door and looking at the automatic weather seal and see if it is closing properly. A good installation will usually have the seal touching the floor giving you a good positive seal. If it is slightly lifting up, look closely at the rubber pusher and make sure that it is engaging the seal properly.

Here is a handy link: How do you keep your home warm in winter?

Here is a handy guide to help you adjust the weather seal:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nsavi
Growing in Experience

Thank you  @EricL 

I will do this today.

nsavi
Growing in Experience

20220831_184044.jpg

20220831_184050.jpg

So I finally did this but the door doesn't gets closed like it used to before. Somethings obstructing it. What have I dont wrong here. Attached pics for reference @EricL 

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Hey @nsavi ,

Like @EricL, I would also recommend the automatic door seal system. During the rain event many of our neighbors neglected their lawn care and this led to an increase in mice in our area, their only entrance into our living spaces was through our Garage Door, and since the buggers can squeeze through the tiniest cracks, things such as draft stops didn't work. 

The automatic weather seal not only kept them out of our house entirely, we've noticed the general area around that door was warmer due to no breeze getting through. We ended up purchasing one for our Laundry door & Front Door to complete the seal, it's been a life saver :laugh:

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nsavi

I'm sorry to hear the seals are interfering with your door closing. In the photo where the seals are attached you've placed one of the seals on the large end of the door frame. I suggest moving it to the narrow ledge so that it does not prevent your door from closing properly. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of where you need to transfer it. Please test to make sure the door will close properly.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects