Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop chipboard from crumbling?

KymMcKay
Finding My Feet

How to stop chipboard from crumbling?

I have just restored my unique Copper Top dining table so the copper is no longer green and re-sealed.  As I have now got a new table, the intention was to use it as my craft table.  As the chair I use for craft is a bit higher (adjustable office chair), my legs occassionally rub on the underside of the table.  This is chipboard under the copper top and it is crumbling.  What is the best way to fix/seal the underside of the table to stop this crumbling/deterioration.  It seems to only be around the outside of the tables metal framework- the inside of the frame is still solid.  Thank you.

Between frame and table edgeBetween frame and table edge

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop Chipboard from crumbling.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @KymMcKay. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about binding particleboard.

I suggest you dust off any particularly loose material and bind the rest with PVA wood glue. You might like to water it down slightly, so it penetrates into the particles better. Perhaps five parts PVA to 2 parts water. If you can flip the table over so the mixture seeps down into the particleboard, all the better. You can apply this mixture with a paintbrush.

We'd love to see a picture of your restored copper tabletop if you'd like to share it with us.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for that, will give it a go.  Here are the before and after photos of my restored copper top.  Not perfect but I was pleased with the results.

20220402_130900.jpg

20220409_093028.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Oh, wow @KymMcKay! You've done an excellent job there. I must say, though, that the green patina was also quite attractive.

Many thanks for sharing, and please reach out if you ever need assistance with a project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects