Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tighten door handles?

zb
Finding My Feet

How to tighten door handles?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

 Hi there, I am trying to tighten my bedroom door handles with no luck. I’ve taken the grub screws out on both sides but couldn’t remove the plate. Any ideas? The door handle is a Oxford sold at Bunnings 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Tighten door handles

Hi @zb 

Nice door  handle  :smile:   . To  answer your question that  metal cover is designed to be a snug fit you need a  small screw  driver  or at a pinch a butter  knife to get between the door and the thin metal lip of the metal cover and push it away from the door. One it starts moving prise the other side in a  see saw motion till its off .  Putting it back on is a simple hand push fit.

Have a great day.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to tighten door handles?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @zb. We're thrilled to have you join our community and look forward to seeing and assisting you with your home improvement and garden projects.

Great to see you've received advice from @Jewelleryrescue about tightening your door handles. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be online later today and can offer additional help if needed.

Don't hesitate to post if you need further assistance.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Jewelleryrescue @thanks for the response, would I remove the grub screws first? It’s a tight fit that’s for sure I’m a bit worried about paint damage. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @zb 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Another method you can try is to hold on to the square cover flange and twist it left to right while trying to pull it away from the door. The square flange is just held in place by rubber washer and is friction based.

There is no need to remove the grub screw from the handle, I recommend returning them in place so that the handle will be secure. The screws that hold the assembly together are right under the flange. The flange fittings are the same for both sides, so hold tightly at the sides twist left to right and pull away from the door.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:   

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
zb
Finding My Feet

Ahhh thank you problem solved! Just used a knife to pop it off. Thanks again everyone. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects