Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to upcycle this change table?

samarak
Just Starting Out

How to upcycle this change table?

My sons change table is falling apart! Bought from a cheap website and one of the drawers is no longer connected. As my son Is getting older I would like to add some cupboard doors and make it safer and eventually be able to use it as storage instead of a change table.
Any suggestions? 

ADD8E7A6-53D7-45E5-A46F-B620C82CABAA.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to up-cycle this change table

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @samarak. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a changing table.

The first thing you could look at is repairing the drawer. Do you know why it has come off the runners? Have the sides separated so far that it's jumped off the track? I'd suggest adding some additional screws through the side panels and into the shelves. This should stiffen up the whole unit.

For the cupboard doors, you might be able to use some cabinet doors. However, given the cost of the doors, hinges and handles and the fact that the carcass is not particularly solid, it might be worth considering purchasing another more suitable unit. You'll find loads of really well-made second-hand change tables at a very reasonable price.

I'd suggest trying to stiffen up the structure and getting the drawer back on the runners. If you can do that adequately, then adding doors would certainly be an option.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects