Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to upcycle timber entertainment unit?

Daemongm
Getting Established

How to upcycle timber entertainment unit?

IMG_20221128_144051.jpg

IMG_20220603_144726.jpg

I have one of those really heavy entertainment units. I would like - if possible - to upcycle it. I am thinking of two stages: the first to convert it to a TV bench unit with ideally separating parts so there's a short stand for the TV on top with consoles etc in the slot under and then joining the two glass cabinet ends to make a separate media unit, then of course make it look nice enough (hide holes and glue marks etc) . Stage two would be to modernise it, but I don't want to do that yet and we expect to move in a few months.

It is an Early Settler unit and seems to be a mix of nails, some screws and I am guessing glue. I have little or no carpentry experience and just your standard occasional DIY tool set. 

I would like advice on if this is possible to do at all, let alone with my skills set, and if so, how do I go about it please? I have contacted some carpenters previously and none seem interested in the job or indicate it would be too much work. For me, it's a solid piece of furniture that could last for generations, itjust needs a bit of updating for current use.

Thanks in advance. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to upcycle timber entertainment unit?

Hi @Daemongm,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're thrilled to have you join us, and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans for around the house and garden. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you need assistance as we have helpful members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day. 

Let me tag some of our clever and creative furniture upcyclers in the community to kick off this discussion for you: 

@sandy_d@Rachel_DeMarchi@RachelD@sallie24@theDIYedit@DonnaDrummond1@LorenaDIYS@daniknight4 

I would also encourage you to check out all the upcycling projects on our Featured Projects section for inspiration, and Bunnings D.I.Y. expert Mitch's guide How to upcycle a bedside cabinet which has techniques which you would be employing when it's time to get on the tools. 

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Daemongm 

Firstly welcome to the Bunnings community workshop. 

I think what you’ve suggested is a great idea. Separating the glass cabinets from the base will give you 2 functional pieces. 

The 2 glass panels can be screwed together. I’m going to assume the side profile of the cabinet is straight, without the same curved profile of the front. If it’s the case, then your job just got easier. You could add a base after they are fixed, use a wood filler to hide the middle seams and add hairpin steel legs. 
below is an example of what I was thinking. 

DA92DBAE-257F-4E0C-89B3-946EA9DDA00C.jpeg

 I can’t wait to see what you create. 

Beat of luck with your upcycle! 

Sandy 

theDIYedit
Making a Splash

Hi @Daemongm and welcome! 

The only way to gain experience is to give it a red hot go! I would first assess where / if you can see where the unit might come apart in places. The only small issue that I can see when separating the parts is whether you would lose the base of the glass cabinetry unit, or the top of the actual TV console. The other issue is where it might be pinned and whether the wood would splinter if prised apart. The base could easily be replaced by another piece of timber and it wouldn't necessarily have to match. Do you know what type of timber the unit is made from? Matching it would be dependent on whether you wanted to sand it back and stain it, or paint it. Perhaps take the drawers out and have a good look around and see where and how it is pieced together. If you report back, I'm sure some good suggestions can be made for dismantling. 😀

@theDIYedit 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Daemongm

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @sandy_d and @theDIYedit. I'll second that recommendation and encourage you to give it a go. But my number one advice before you begin is to inspect the cabinet from top to bottom, inside and out. This will familiarize you with how the cabinet is assembled and give you ideas of where to cut or unscrew panels of the cabinet. 

Keep in mind that this could take you a while so make sure that your work area is safe and that you can leave the unit in a disassembled state and not worry about it getting wet.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to the start of your upcycling project.

Eric

I pretty sure it is oak. Trouble is at the moment is that it is in use so quite hard to get a good look as it is mega heavy (minimum two strong men) so I think I need to assess if it's possible before emptying and trying to move as it would be too heavy to get to our wooden shed (has a rotting wooden ramp that would break) but I could perhaps work under the small covered area in the yard. I guess I would need a slim chisel to pry first then something tougher to lift (after removing accessable screws) 

Daemongm
Getting Established

Thanks. Yeah my work area is limited unless I can empty it and get the top off inside I'm one session. Then I can move it to the shed as it will be a manageable weight. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Daemongm

Another option would be to move your furniture away from the TV and make your work area there. Just cover the area with Paint Partner 2.6 x 3.6m Plastic Backed Canvas Drop Sheet to protect the floor and catch any debris while you are working on it. Just make sure that everyone is aware of your plans so that your popularity rating will not go down.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Daemongm
Getting Established

That's a good option, thanks, Eric! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects