Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to wire in a new light pendant to old wiring?

Lukus84
Just Starting Out

How to wire in a new light pendant to old wiring?

Hi, I

have a new ceiling pendant light that I wanted to fit. After switching off the power box for the lights I removed the old hallway light unit to find more wires than I was hoping to find.

My house is a 70’s build and I have previously installed ceiling fans with lights ok but this had me a bit confused.

There’s appears to be 3 red wires that are live, 1 white wire that is for the light switch that is live, then 2 black wires that are neutral and 1 white/red wire that is neutral that I assume is for the light switch too.

My new pendant has only two wires for fitting, I’ve purchased a new ceiling rose in the vein attempt to work out where these wires should go to then be fitted to the wires/pendant. I need to have the switch wiring seperate from the main live or the light will be on permanently.

Can anyone help me in how to wire this together?

thanks

0A57B49E-BDFF-406D-8E6C-55D6A7B89B0D.jpeg

73AF61A6-959E-40FC-87C8-23DC56857D48.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How wire in a new light pendant to old wiring

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lukus84. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about wiring.

I'm so sorry, but unfortunately, you'll need to enlist the services of an electrician to install your light as this isn't a D.I.Y. installation. I'd encourage you not to continue and seek out professional advice. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects