Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How would I splice two curtain poles together?

AlanS
Getting Established

How would I splice two curtain poles together?

I was looking at this solution to hanging curtains on a 4m window:

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Living-and-Bedroom/What-type-of-curtain-rod-curtain-rings-fo...

I like the look of the 2m wooden poles here: https://www.bunnings.com.au/windoware-210cm-x-33mm-natural-wooden-curtain-rod-set_p1284037

Two of those would span the gap, as recommended.

I was wondering what you would use to join the two poles together securely? And, also, if the provided brackets would provide support for the 4m pole (specifically the join) in the middle?

Thanks very much.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How Would I Splice Two Curtain Poles Together?

Afternoon @AlanS 

We use to join thinner curtain rails with a small pipe sleeve. The rod you are showing is 33mm in width. I had a quick squiz on the bunnings pages but cant really see anything suitable (They had a pvc pipe at 32mm but I was thinking more solid with a metal sleeve). You could go to a steel pipe store and ask if they have the inner diameter of 33/34mm You only need around 30-40cm for the joining part. If you do find some pipe I would drill two holes into the pipe itself. Then once the timber is inside the pipe where you want it put a couple of timber screws into it to lock it in place. 

Bear in mind that the fixtures to hold it all up may need to be beefed up as its now 4.2m long :smile:

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AlanS. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about splicing curtain poles.

I'd be thinking of using something like the Adoored 3/8" Furniture Leg Stud. Remove the ball ends and drill suitable-sized holes at the end of the poles if the ones there are not already of the correct size, which I suspect they won't be. Place a couple of nuts locked together on the stud and use them to screw the coarser thread section into the end of one pole. Undo the nuts and then screw the second pole to the first. Add some wood glue to the joint before tightening it fully.

Depending on how heavy the curtains are, the single bracket should suffice. I'd certainly recommend fixing it into a stud or timberwork, as plaster fixings will likely fail in the future.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AlanS
Getting Established

Thanks. The sleeve wasn't an idea that occurred to me. Biggest downside I can see (aside from having to source a piece of pipe of the correct diameter) is that it will be visible on the plain wood pole.

AlanS
Getting Established

Thank you - I think we will give this a try.

Our problem now is that Bunnings have changed the curtain-pole such that it no longer comes with the rings. And now no longer stock the rings.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AlanS,

As far as I can tell, the Windoware 210cm x 33mm Natural Wooden Curtain Rod Set still comes with rings, and the Windoware 35mm Natural Wood Pole Curtain Rings are also available separately. These are current lines that we stock in store. Perhaps this is a case of your local store not stocking them. If you can let me know which store you tried, I can check to find the next location that stocks them.

Mitchell

AlanS
Getting Established

Our store is Kembla Grange.

We bought a pole and it didn't come with rings. My wife took it back and was told that was how it was being sold now. And that the separate rings are being discontinued.

Since we'll be putting up six such rails over the next few months we want to be sure we have a consistent supply of whatever solution we choose so we can buy the bits as we need them.

(The splicing project isn't one we plan to do immediately. But it's the one that drives what curtain rails and rings we get for the rest of teh house, so we use the same look throughout.)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AlanS,

I'm so sorry for the confusion. I have checked with Bunnings Kembla Grange, and the information you've been provided is correct. The description of the product on the webpage appears to be inconsistent with the product on the shelf. I'll flag that with our team to change. However, that doesn't solve your issue.

It might not be the look you're going for, but we do have Windoware 2200 - 4000mm 25/28mm Satin Adjustable Metal Astra Curtain Rod.

Mitchell

AlanS
Getting Established

Thanks. We're sticking with the poles - it's the fact that wooden curtain rings seem to be on the way out that's the real issue. They're getting hard to find (Spotlight are also discontinuing them).

On the original subject of the splice, though, the 210cm and 260cm poles are both already made up of two parts. So if you join them end to end and only support the new join with a bracket, does that not leave the two joins in the middle of each run somewhat weak?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AlanS,

You'd need to use the brackets as intended with each kit, so one in the middle of the pole. You'd then need an additional bracket to join the two sets. There'd be five brackets in total. There is the Windoware Natural Curtain Woodpole Brackets for the additional bracket to join the sets.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects