Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

I want to build a indoor cat enclosure to stop the cat being annoying whilst I try to sleep

Darkphase
Finding My Feet

I want to build a indoor cat enclosure to stop the cat being annoying whilst I try to sleep

My cat is an absolute pain when I try to sleep and commonly wakes me up 6+ times a night but due to my circumstances I am restricted in what I could do to stop her so I want to build an enclosure to go on top of a chest of draws that is 2 levels, one level has her cat litter and the other has a bed plus space for her food and water. This is a very quick paint picture of what I am thinking. Basically a rectangular structure with a seperator in the middle that has a hole cut into it with a ramp leading to the bottom half. The ramp will only take part of the width so that there is room left below for the cat litter to fit. The top half I will add a bed and will sort out something to do with food and water (maybe cut holes her bowls fit into so they stay in place. I also want a door on the structure that will stay closed (i.e. some kind of latch from the outside). On the top half of the door I want some kind of panel she can see through (see through plastic?). She will only be in there for 8 hours a day whilst I sleep but I want it to be comfortable and have everything she needs in that time period. Would love suggestions on what to build this out of as I honestly haven't made anything like this ever (by this I mean everything like what wood you would suggest, what glue, what nails, what door hinge, all of that please). Also not the richest person in the world so a not super expensive solution for building it would be great. All help will be super appreciated and thanks in advance.  cat.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: I want to build a indoor cat enclosure to stop the cat being annoying whilst I try to sleep

Welcome to the Workshop community @Darkphase. I'd be happy to assist with your questions.

You might like to consider making the enclosure out of plywood. A board similar to Ecoply 2400 x 1200 x 12mm Structural CD Plywood can be cut down in-store to the sizes you need for your project. You will need 42 x 19mm 2.4m Premium Grade Dressed Pine for bracing the structure in the corners. PVA wood glue would be suitable to hold the timber together and I would suggest using wood screws to fix the pieces in place.

You probably don't need a full-size hinge for the door so a Zenith 50 x 40 x 1.2mm Zinc Plated Fixed Pin Butt Hinge 2 Pack would be sufficient.

We also have a great selection of pet enclosures available to choose from. You could even use something similar to Rapidmesh 95 x 58 x 138cm Small Animal Enclosure and perhaps modify it to suit your purpose.

If you need further assistance or had other questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: I want to build a indoor cat enclosure to stop the cat being annoying whilst I try to sleep

Hello @Darkphase 

Here is a plan for the cat motel.

Tools : Hammer,saw, drill, pencil, ruler

Materials :

42 x 42 x 2.4 DAR plain pine ( do not get treated as it is not good for you or the cat  )

75mm timber screws ( 100 in a box )

chicken wire mesh ( or at least an equivalent where the cat can't pass his head through )

U nails to hols the chicken wire ( 50 in a box? )

2 hinges and possibly an eye and hook fence lock.

I only suggest once assembled to keep the hotel in the sun for at least a week so that the sun can bake the smell off the timber or you may paint it. Just be aware that you must let the paint dry very well as cats as we know have a very keen sense of smell. You may re-size the hotel to fit your needs ( I suggest bringing the size down to 800mm in width and length so that it fits through doorways. )  Enjoy the plans, be safe. I found this very easy video to follow on how to make a timber frame box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSvpYh5OBYU

Cheers,

Red

catcage1.jpgcatcage2.jpgScreenshot_2020-05-12 1800 x 400 x 18mm MDF Handypanel.pngScreenshot_2020-05-12 Zenith 10 - 8 x 75mm Galvanised Square Drive Countersunk Ribbed Head Timber Screws - 50 Pack.pngScreenshot_2020-05-12 Zenith 2 0 x 15mm Zinc Plated U Shape Staple - 100 Pack.pngScreenshot_2020-05-12 Saxon 90cm x 10m Chicken Wire Netting.pngScreenshot_2020-05-12 Porta 42 x 42mm 2 4m Standard and Better Pine DAR.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Darkphase 

Sorry couldn't resist.

The Cat's Meow!The Cat's Meow!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Purrfect @redracer01! Love the cat-titude!

Your puns might be clawful but fur real, you are never kitten around when it comes to your fur-midable 3D designs.

Looking forward to seeing what you and your furry friends think @Darkphase.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects