Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Living room window tinting

mk1
Cultivating a Following

Living room window tinting

Hello experts,

Can you advise on the tinting film to be used on the outside of the glass wall which would keep the heat out as well as give the view of outside while sitting in the lounge. Even if the aircon is on, someone sitting near the glass wall would still feel the heat coming from the glass. 

so I need advise on tinting the glass wall which doesn’t obstruct the view of backyard. 

Thanks,

MK

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: living room window tintinh

Hi @mk1,

To clarify what tints do, they reduce ultraviolet rays, infrared heat and light flow from transferring through the glass. However, the glass itself will still heat up to a certain extent and radiate heat from it. This sounds like what you are describing and you might like to consider an awning to prevent the sun hitting the window glass in the first place.

There are a few different varieties of window film available in our stores:

• Crystal- Has the highest transparency rate retaining external views. It blocks up to 99% Ultraviolet Rays, 90% of Infrared Heat and while allowing 72% Light flow

• Tinted- Has a medium transparency rate and will allow partial external views. It blocks up to 98% Ultraviolet Rays, 56% Infrared Heat and 74% of the Light flow.

• Mirror- Has the lowest transparency rate and will limit the external view. It blocks up to 98% Ultraviolet Rays, 89% Infrared Heat and 87% of the Light flow.

I would advise going with either the Crystal or Tinted varieties to maximise the external views but limit ultraviolet rays and infrared heat. The Mirror variety will almost block all external views.

Let me mention the ever-helpful @prettyliving as she recently installed some tinting in her home and might have some feedback. It would also be worth reading through the steps she took: D.I.Y. mirror tinted window.

Here's a step-by-step tutorial that you should find helpful: How To Install Window Film

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mk1
Cultivating a Following

Re: living room window tintinh

Thanks @MitchellMc for the details and well organising the information. 

this was really helpful and has helped me to decide what I need to do. 

Thanks,

MK

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: Living room window tinting

Mk1

Probably too late but just a reminder if you go with mirror. While is great in the day time and you can see out while others can't see in. The opposite is true at night if you have the lights on. JDE

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects