Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Making a desk using Flexi Storage Clever Cubes

64DRGN
Just Starting Out

Making a desk using Flexi Storage Clever Cubes

Hi There,

I was wondering if anyone can advise if you are able to drill into the side of Flexi Storage Clever cubes. I would like to attach a bench top off the side of a 4x1 cube arrangement that goes across onto the top of a 1x2 cube arrangement. If so what type of screws would I need. 
Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Thank you Regards, Adrian 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Making a desk using Flexi Storage Clever Cubes

Welcome to the Workshop community @64DRGN. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to answer it.

The Flexi storage clever cubes are constructed from laminated chipboard so I would advise using chipboard screws. It will be necessary to pre-drill the screw holes to avoid damaging the board. Drill a hole a few millimetres smaller than the screw size. The screw length will be determined by the thickness of the benchtop and you will need a screw short enough that it doesn't penetrate through completely.

If you need further advice or had questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for that I really appreciate your help, the sides of the cubes are so light it feels like they are almost hollow in some sections away from

the edges that’s why I asked the question. 

I was going to suspend the board on angle brackets screwed into the board and the side of the cube. 
Thanks again Adrian 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @64DRGN,

I believe I misinterpreted your question and now see you intend on putting the brackets on the sidewall of the unit. The sides are indeed hollow and although you could fix into them it would not be advisable to put excessive weight on the table.

How big is this bench and approximately how much does it weigh? I believe we should be looking for a better solution than to fix into the 3mm sidewall of the Flexi storage.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects