Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Making a keyboard tray for IKEA Micke desk

sydneysider
Building a Reputation

Making a keyboard tray for IKEA Micke desk

hi

I have an IKEA Micke desk with a pull out drawer, which i want to replace with a pull out tray instead (ie without the sides) to carry the keyboard and mouse. Size around 65cm by 22cm, 16-20mm thick.

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/micke-desk-white-80354276/

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/micke-desk-white-80354281/

Question : what would be best timber to make this shelf. I was thinking the melamine shelves like https://www.bunnings.com.au/flexi-storage-600-x-350-x-16mm-white-timber-shelf_p2583995   cut to size. 

I have a circular saw at home but unsure if MDF can be cut with the saw to give me a good clean finish? 

Or do bunnings offer a cutting service if i provide measurements.

Alternatively if i use my circular saw, should i be using a solid white timber pine panel instead for cleaner finish and can you recommend one pls?  

thanks

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Making a keyboard tray for IKEA Micke desk

Sounds like a great project @sydneysider.

Let me tag @Nham, @diy_hausdesigns and @JoeAzza to help kick off this discussion. @EricL will also be happy to help when he's back on the site on Friday.

While you're changing up your desk, you may want to take a look at our Top 10 most popular desk projects for more ideas.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sydneysider
Building a Reputation

Thanks @StevieB  for the additional ideas. 

While we are it at, I also browsed through the desk projects you shared and I could also explore them as options. So besides modifying the Ikea desk, could you also pls advise what is the minimum thickness for panel board if I were to build the desk from scratch (based on below ideas). 33mm look standard , not sure if I can use thinner. Also is it possible to install and sliding keyboard shelf under the desk and how do I go about it.  

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Living-and-Bedroom/Student-desk-with-a-Spotted-Gum-top/m-p/7...

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Living-and-Bedroom/Computer-desk-build/m-p/57332

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Whole-of-House/New-desk-simplest-thing-I-ve-ever-made/m-p/72...

thanks

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi  @sydneysider.

Thankyou @StevieB 

I have the same desk, Maybe you could just fit a shelf inside the the drawer to hold the keyboard when in use. Set the shelf below or level with the side of the drawer.

IMG_0404.JPGIMG_0405.JPG

Fantastic to hear that you've found some great ideas through our Top 10 most popular desk projects and from @JoeAzza.

I'll ask @EricL to get back to you about your questions.

Stevie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sydneysider

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @JoeAzza. Let me answer your first post on how to attach a keyboard shelf to your existing desk. The key to replacing your drawer is to make sure the panel you will use is the same width as your drawer. Not the drawer front but the actual drawer box itself. By cutting a panel that is the same width as the drawer, you can reuse the drawer runners and attach them to the side of the panel.

I've drawn up some samples for you. The sizes indicated are examples, so please adjust them to the sizes required. To get a clean cut on the melamine, I suggest cutting your cutting line with Stanley FatMax Retractable Knife. This will prevent the melamine from chipping when you cut it with your circular saw. Please keep us updated, we would love to see your project once it's finished.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi  @sydneysider.

Just read that you want to build your own desk, with a keyboard and mouse pull out tray, I found this on a Youtube video, 

it's an Ikea pull out shoe shelf which can be easily modified to a keyboard tray. or you could buy 2 drawer runners from Bunnings and make your own, it's a bit more work where you have to make the tray and supports for the drawer rails, .@Ericl may be able to sketch a drawing for you.

JoeAzza_1-1627086106878.png

JoeAzza_0-1627086046232.png

Bunnings drawer runners.

JoeAzza_2-1627086448672.png

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi  @sydneysider. and @StevieB

I liked the idea about the pull out keyboard tray, I decided to make a similar idea, however, I wanted to keep the drawer, so I made this shelf that fits into the drawer, it didn't take long to make, I had some 16mm white melamine. This desk is only temporary, I want to make a longer desk later on similar to to one you wanted to make, 32 mm thickness is good, any thinner it would sag in the middle unless you put supports under the table. .@Ericl  might be able to add to extra instructions on supports for the new desk.

See images below.

IMG_0476.JPGIMG_0478.JPGIMG_0480.JPGIMG_0484.JPGIMG_0485.JPGIMG_0489.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JoeAzza

Thank you so much for that idea. Let me tag @sydneysider so that they are made aware of your suggestion. That extra shelf inside the drawer is a great suggestion. You get to have a keyboard in your drawer and still have a bit of storage space at the back.  

Eric

Hi Eric

I'm planning to make a similar modification to an ikea desk.  Once the drawer is extended, how do I ensure it locks in place and doesn't retract back into the desk if i lean against it?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects