Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Massive 2.3 metre entertainment unit makeover

trinastanaway
Growing in Experience

Massive 2.3 metre entertainment unit makeover

I stumbled across a gigantic 2.3 metre solid timber Entertainment Unit and crazily decided to take on the challenge. 

I began by removing all glass panels in the doors. The glass was being replaced with ply and hessian table runners cut to size, glued together, ready and waiting to be added to the doors instead othe the worn glass. 

All drawer handles were removed and spray painted with Rustoleum Gold. Hinges were either replaced or sprayed. 

So began days and days of sanding using just a standard orbital sander with grit 60-240. The stunning timber hidden under an almost black stain was worth the saw dust covered shed! 

The open shelves and cupboard interiors were primed using BINS primer followed by 2 coats of Dulux Surf'n'Dive followed by Cabot's Cabothane Clear. 

The newly sanded timber was stained twice with a Cabot's Brazilian Roast and Cabot's Cabothane Clear mix. For durability, I added a further 2 coats of straight Cabot's Cabothane Clear. 

Once everything had cured for 7 days, everything was put back together with new door inserts, hinges and fresh handles. 

It was a tough one but love the final look. 

20211021_093915.jpg

20210616_081844.jpg

moodybyname78
Cultivating a Following

Re: Massive 2.3 metre Entertainment Unit

that’s awesome 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Massive 2.3 metre entertainment unit makeover

Hi @trinastanaway

Another fantastic project! Tons of hard work that has really paid off. Do you recommend letting all the pieces cure for several days? What would you say is the benefit?

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects