Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Modern new look for wooden sideboard

glenmore
Having an Impact

Modern new look for wooden sideboard

0536EB10-B7AC-4EE9-A7D4-8C981FB27A36.jpeg

I changed this sideboard with drawers from gloss varnished wood to low sheen Monument.

For this project I used Taubmans 10L Accent Low Sheen All Weather Exterior Paint because I had it from another project, and whatever medium  grit sandpaper I had around.

Rather than rollers, 
I used a good quality wide paintbrush with fine bristles similar to this one: Monarch 75mm woodcare paint-brush. It’s designed for varnish but with paint it leaves a smooth finish with a slight suggestion of wood grain. 

Instructions:

Step 1. Take a before picture (I usually forget this one…so this picture is actually after sanding…)

92BFE3AD-E655-47DD-8D4E-5A30FF4FA009.jpeg

Step 2. Find a good podcast to binge while you work. 

Step 3. Lightly hand sand with medium grit sand paper. Use ear muffs if you are using a sander, the podcast earphones still work under them. They are much cheaper than a hearing aid later 😆 

Step 4. Use masking tape for the edges. Remove the handles (and replace them with new ones) if you like. 
The handles on this were good, although I’ve removed and replaced handles on previous projects. In fact, I didn’t even remove the handles on this on…. 

I was keen to just start the project, so I  just used kitchen towel or baby wipes and clean any paint splodges as I went instead. 
I find that although some of the preparation work is essential for a good result, getting started (and finished) is the important thing! 

73AC8259-402D-4E38-BF2A-F303C857E75B.jpeg

E9AD0C52-F0DD-44A3-940E-FC55B753AEA9.jpeg

Step 4. Apply three light coats of paint with drying time in between. Remember that it takes about a week for the paint to completely harden so have patience and don’t rush to use it!!!

561C8E7B-AE13-4E3D-B684-8F6A5A486E2D.jpeg

1EB20C58-858D-4BDC-9E0E-20E84B8AFC81.jpeg

Step 5. Admire your work with a G&T or cup of tea and share your finished project with friends! 
Thanks to B who gave me the sideboard 👍

EE6A392D-6BF3-44B9-9F3A-C16BF008586D.jpeg
Update: This photo almost 2 years on. The paint is holding strong with everyday use, so overall I’m very pleased that the work seems to be lasting well!

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Upcycled sideboard

I love seeing projects like this !!! @glenmore   Looks great 😊 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What a great way to give an old cabinet a new lease on life, @glenmore.

It looks like you got a very smooth finish. Did you use a paintbrush or roller for this project? 

Well done, and many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Amazing job @glenmore.

What a great upcycle project. Did you need to do anything to the handles before reattaching?

Also, agreed that Step 5 is a must!

Katie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @glenmore

What a fantastic turnaround, that cabinet looked so old and dated and it just came back to life with a bit of paint. If you find that the exterior paint is not hardening or that the topcoat feels a bit soft, leave the cabinet out in the sun for an hour or two so that it hardens the paint. I agree with @KatieC that step five is a must. 

Thank you for sharing that wonderful upcycle project.

Eric

Hi @MitchellMc 

I used a good quality wide paintbrush with fine bristles similar to this one: Monarch 75mm woodcare paint-brush. 

It’s designed for varnish but with paint it leaves a smooth finish with a slight suggestion of wood grain. 

Thanks @KatieC 

The handles were in good nick and modern looking so I kept them and didn’t have to do anything with them.

I’ve removed and replaced handles on previous projects but this didn’t need it.  In fact, I didn’t even remove the handles… I was a bit lazy and impatient to start so I just painted carefully around them and then later removed any stray paint when dried with my fingernails! This project was in 2020 so the outside world didn’t see the dried paint stuck underneath my fingernails…that stuff of difficult to clean out completely! 

Good tip on the sunshine:-)

This cabinet is solid and heavy so leaving it longer was a better option!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects