Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Moody bedroom makeover

Mel_Langford
Growing in Experience

Moody bedroom makeover

Moody Vibes in my bedroom makeover. DIY bedhead using maritime pine and Feast Watson's Brown Japan stain, and the wall colour is a gorgeous dark blue called Black Forest (Taubmans' Easy Coat interior).

Steps

Step 1

Screenshot_20230712-145029.png

I joined my pieces of wood using the Biscuit Joiner and Taskmaster size 20 biscuit joiners , and Aquadhere pva wood glue exterior  and let it dry between each row.

Step 2

Screenshot_20230712-145255.png

I cut out the rectangles for the lights by firstly drilling holes in the corners to fit the jigsaw blade. Then cut out the rectangles. This was very nerve wracking!

Step 3

Screenshot_20230712-145103(1).png

I tested on the back the bedhead 1 and 2 coats of sanding sealer and also how long to leave the stain on. For my pieces of pine, I only needed 1 coat of Feast Watson Sanding Sealer  and 2 very quick coats of Feast Watson Brown Japan interior stain . After I applied the stain and it was dried, I screwed on the bedside tables.

Step 4

Screenshot_20230712-152543.png

I ended up putting a hidden shelf to rest against the back wall as I needed quite a space behind to allow for the cords and power sockets. I used the Black melamine shelf for hidden shelf , cut it to 11.5cm wide and attached it with brackets.

Step 5

Screenshot_20230712-150702.png

I prepped the walls with sugar soap, then cut in the edges using a edging paintbrush. Then used a roller to apply 3 coats of Taubmans neutral low sheen easy coat in Black Forest . Before I decided on this colour I bought a few sample pots and painted pieces of cardboard to see how the colours looked against the wood and artwork. I highly recommend this as the colour I originally chose were too 'bland' and I realised I needed a specific blue hue with a touch of green.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Moody bedroom makeover

Hello @Mel_Langford,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! We're delighted to have you join us and hope you've been finding this site a handy resource for useful D.I.Y. advice and inspiring ideas. 

Congratulations on a beautiful makeover. Your bedroom perfectly exudes moody vibes. Your choice of paint colour is spot on and that D.I.Y. bedhead makes for a great feature. I won't be surprised to see this project make it into one of our Top Ideas articles one day, perhaps in something like 10 ways to update your bedroom.

What were your biggest learnings from this project? Any words of advice for those about to embark on their own bedroom makeover?

Many thanks for sharing this project and look forward to seeing your next one!

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tocikjaa
Building a Reputation

Hi @Mel_Langford 

This project is brilliant! Well done. 
I am just curious as to how you made the bed base? 
Is it a free standing bed base/frame that you have attached to the bespoke bed head? 
Thanks!

Hi Akanksha, 

Thanks so much for the kind words! 

My biggest learnings were to always follow the instructions on the back of the paint and stain tins. Shortcuts don't work! And triple check everything, especially when measuring. And if possible, have practice pieces of wood before you go cutting and staining etc. 

And my advice would be to go for it! And if possible, have practice pieces of wood before you go cutting and staining etc. 😁

Hi Tocikjaa, 

Thank you so much! I was going to make one, but decided I wanted drawers and a black bed base which was easier to buy. I bought strong interlocking flush bracket mounts from ebay, but I haven't attached them yet. It's actually quite solid being pushed against the bed base and mattress, along with the shelf against the wall. Saying that though I will be putting the mounts on though as I feel it will be more professional to be attached. The brackets interlock together so you can take them apart quite easily. It will require me to screw 2 screws into the bedhead and 2 screws into the bed base for each mount.

The other option would be to use simple sturdy brackets. I feel that would be the most solid as there is slight movement when the mounts are interlocked. 

Hope that helps. 😁

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Mel_Langford  it’s amazing what you can do when you have a go, well done, your bedroom looks fantastic, I like the clamping method you have used in putting the bed head pieces together. Good luck with your entry in the DIY July competition.

Mel_Langford
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much Joe. 😁 

Yeah, I had to google that when I didn't have big enough clamps! 😁

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Mel_Langford 

The transformation is brilliant!  Congratulations!  The colours choices you made look perfect for the space!  I admit I've fallen for the rug in a big way too!  May I ask where you got it? 

Cheers 🤗

Hi @Mel_Langford,

Thanks for clarifying.
I have a very similar aesthetic in my room, and I have been looking for a bed frame like the one you made. Where did you purchase the base from? I think this will be my next project! 

Mel_Langford
Growing in Experience

Hi Tyro, 

Thank you so much. The rug is a bargain from Fantastic furniture $229! It's called Solitaire rug . 😁

Screenshot_20230716-104631.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects