Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New desk - built in lockdown

cmstar
Cultivating a Following

New desk - built in lockdown

I needed a new desk so we had these delivered from Bunnings in Melbourne lockdown. I purchased 2 x steel Rapidmesh leg furniture, a pine panel which we then painted with liming white paint. It came up really well. Very happy with the finished product. 

B400D5D2-A952-4C9B-AC42-5F6745768F8C.jpeg

D10F27F2-05C4-4FB3-9181-BB76BA4B6F2A.jpeg

1A3DBA3D-84DA-4F02-A331-4AF85CCBAE12.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: New desk - built in lockdown

That looks sensational, @cmstar! I love the simplicity of this design, and I'm sure just about anyone could complete this project themselves.

I'm also pleased to hear that our amazing members in Melbourne can still access the materials needed for their projects with ease.

Many thanks for sharing and great work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @cmstar 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop! That looks fantastic! My compliments on the smart use of click and deliver! I'm glad you found a way to keep doing your DIY! If I can please request for a closer picture of the Liming White finish on your bench top to give our readers a really close look at how that table top got finished. It would be great to show our readers the difference between a gloss white finish and a Liming White finish on a pine panel. Can you please tell us how many coats did you put on the pine table and if you have any tips you would like to give to those who might want to give this a go. 

Cheers,

Red

Screenshot_2021-05-31 Feast Watson 1L Liming White.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

cmstar
Cultivating a Following

Hi Red, the picture you have added is the liming wash I used. It was great to use and it a more subtle white than a white gloss. I only used 1 coat of the liming wash as I still wanted to see the grain of the timber. It was pretty easy to apply and I left it to dry over night before I added the desk legs on. A picture of the finished product. 

3E48E51F-F4F6-4111-811F-AD89697378BE.jpeg

Hello @cmstar 

Thank you so much for taking the time to post that picture! I'm sure it will be of interest to our members who are thinking of painting their furniture with that white wash effect giving it that Coastal / Hampton look. Compared to chalk paint, liming white has the same strength and properties as regular furniture paint giving you that look without the extra effort to get that look. Its not as stark or harsh as white chalk paint and should last longer even with regular use. We look forward to your future diy projects and if there is anything we can help with your diy projects please post it here on workshop.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

HaymishB
Finding My Feet

What size Rapidmesh legs did you get? Thanks in advance, Haymish

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @HaymishB. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this fabulous project.

Let me mention @cmstar so they can verify what Rapidmesh leg they used. I'd hazard a guess that it was the RapidMesh 70 x 73.2 x 6cm Black Steel Tube Table Furniture Leg, as the only other two options in that style are for a bench seat and a coffee table.

Are you planning on building your own desk? Re-creating this project would be quite easy, and we'd be pleased to assist you in the process.

We also look forward to hearing all about the projects and plans you have going on around your house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share. You'll find tonnes of inspiration within the community as our talented members contribute their own projects here all the time.

Mitchell

One of my friends built a desk and I loved the turn out. When I saw this post I thought it would be a great opportunity to experiment with as its a very simple build, yet it look amazing. I'm thinking of staining it a darker colour like walnut, and I would love your opinion on this choice.

Hello @HaymishB 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. A walnut finish brings out the natural brown hues of the timber being stained. Timber with a dark color tends to run darker but the stain creates valleys of contrasting timber color and tends to bring a natural aged brown finish to the top of the wood. It is a preferred color of most furniture makers. The same effect can be said for lighter colored timber with different ring patterns on it. Where the timber is thick and compressed it gives a lighter finish and where it is loose and absorbing goes with deeper browns. You could say that it is almost like a honey colored finish but with much deeper browns. If you are able to have a visit to the paint department, have a look at all the stain and varnish finishes on display to get a better idea of the finishes. I myself prefer this finish but to be honest I've yet to master its application on timber. I look forward to the start of your desk, please keeps us updated and if there is anything else we can help with please post it here on workshop.

Cheers,

Red   

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

A darker colour would work quite well @HaymishB. Think about how that might affect the overall feeling of the room it's in. As it's a relatively large piece of furniture, lighter or darker colours will either make the room look more airy and spacious or cozy and more confined.

I'd suggest getting yourself some disposable gloves and a rag to apply the stain. I like to saturate the rag and then squeeze all the stain back out of it. The idea is not to have the rag wet with stain, and it should be almost dry. This allows you to control the coats and select your desired depth of colour. You can then start wiping down your timber in even coats. Keep doing coats until you reach your desired darkness for the Walnut stain. When I used brushes to apply stains, I found that if I applied a bit too much on one area, I was then forced to stain the entire piece that dark. It's quite hard to govern how much stain a brush's bristles will hold. Stain is extremely penetrative, and if you apply too much, you can completely lose the appearance of the timber grain. 

It would be fabulous if you could share your project with us when you are done. Remember to take plenty of pictures along the way to inspire others.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects