Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Oil Vs water based primer

AlexB
Finding My Feet

Oil Vs water based primer

Hi!
I've tried to do up an old dresser of my grandma's by first applying the British 2 in 1 Paint and Primer- Unfortunately I got yellow streaks through the paint which I've come to know as tannin stains.
I'm going to sand back the paint to the bare timber and start again as I really want this to come up perfect!
What primer and paint would you recommend to redo this with? Dulux is a little expensive (considering I've already spent money on the first tin!) so other options would be appreciated.
I have also read the British 4 in 1 oil based primer would be the way to go- unfortunately for some reason this product is only available in store and not for click and collect (stage 4 lockdown so I can't go in)
Would water based be the same? What's the difference between the two?

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: Oil Vs water based primer

Once you have sanded back to bear material try a sealer before painting this will stop any bleed through from sap wood (tannins) or knots in the timber. allow to dry sand back very lightly to remove any raised fibres from the sealer. apply under coat etc.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AlexB. It's great to have you join in the discussion.

It's also pleasing to see you received a prompt and helpful reply from one of our experienced members Ron. I'm sure @EricL will also be happy to share his thoughts when he is back on the site on Friday. Many thanks for your patience in the meantime. We are looking forward to seeing how you can restore the dresser. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AlexB

Thank you for sharing your question about paint primers.

It's great that you've received spot-on advice from one of our experienced members @r23on. When renovating furniture, tannin from the wood sometimes seeps out towards the surface of the wood. To prevent streaking or yellowing that you are experiencing, you need to use a primer with a sealing feature. I suggest using Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L. It is formulated to resist mould and has stain blocking properties.

I recommend a minimum of two coats of primer before putting on the first coat of paint. Using water-based paint has a shorter drying time. Oil-based paint usually requires a minimum of 8 to 14 hours depending on the weather. Water-based paint is easy to clean and does not require turps or chemicals to wash the paint off. Both types are dependable and will provide adequate protection to your project.

The British paint and prime are ideal for new unstained projects. It will not block tannins and the same thing will happen again. It sounds like an excellent upcycle project. I'm sure our members would love to see the dresser once it's complete. If you need a hand with this item for click and collect, please tell me your closest store and I will be more than happy to assist.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects