Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Options for installing a skylight blind?

KC2
Getting Established

Options for installing a skylight blind?

Hi,

I would like to install a blockout blind for a skylight. It measures 92cm x 73cm. 

What are my options for a DIY blind? What tools do I need to install one?

pic1.JPGpic2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Options for installing a skylight blind?

Hello @KC2

If your skylight is a Velux brand and was manufactured after 2010 it might be possible to get a roller blind for it. You will need the model number of the skylight for us to match it with the Velux skylight blinds. This product will have to be ordered at your local store's special orders desk. However, if it is another brand, I can only recommend making a skylight curtain. You can attach the corners of the curtains to your ceiling using Everhang 10.35kg Pull Latch Magnets - 1 Set. In this manner, it can still be removed when you want the light to come in.

Let me tag our experienced members @lifestylebymari and @craftyhopper for their recommendations. 

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KC2
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

Yes it is a Velux. I have taken a picture of the plate attached to it:

KC2_0-1634625959570.png

Could you please help to check if there's a specific blind for it?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing the extra detail @KC2

@EricL will be able to assist further when he is back online this evening.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @KC2

I've just spoken to our provider, and I'm sorry, but they are putting all the blinds on hold due to a parts shortage. However, I did ask about your Velux model unfortunately, it is no longer available. I asked when the blinds were coming back into production, and they could not provide a specific date.

In my search to find you a skylight blind, I came across a D.I.Y. solution. You can use two towel rails in parallel to hold either a cloth curtain or sunscreen material. You then attach clothing straps around the towel rails to hold the blind in place. You can lower or raise the blind with a broom. I've placed a sketch below, please tell me what you think.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

KC2
Getting Established

That's a great DIY idea, Eric!

Are the towel rails available in custom sizes, as in the size of my skylight opening?

Can you guide me to the links of what I need to buy from Bunnings to get this going?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KC2

I'm glad my suggestion will work for you. Here are the links for the towel rail parts.

The tube rod can be purchased longer if needed, please measure your skylight opening before going to the store. If you are screwing into the ceiling plasterboard and miss the timber stud, I suggest using Ramset M5 x 9mm Plasterboard Hollow Wall Anchor - 4 Pack to secure the pillar ends.

Now that you're about to build it, would it be possible for you to post a photo once it's finished and installed? I'm sure our members would be keen to see an alternative solution to covering a skylight.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects