Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pallet coffee table

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Pallet coffee table

1.jpg

I thought I would share a pallet coffee table I built over my weekend. I used a very similar process to the D.I.Y. article How to build a simple coffee table using pallet timber.

There were three different paints used to achieve the effect. The first layer was a light grey colour, then a layer of cobalt blue and then a finishing coat of white. I rubbed back through the layers with 120-grit sand paper until I was happy with the effect. To seal the top I then applied a coat of Timber Protect 1l Satin Oil Based One Coat Clear Varnish .

I added Taskmaster 400 x 10mm Hairpin Steel Table Legs to complete the look.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out as after the cobalt layer I had doubts I could get a nice weathered finish.

2.png3.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Pallet Coffee Table

Hello@MitchellM 

Buddy that table is smokin hot! Fantastic paint finish and those retro legs just gives it that retro modern vibe. Straight out of those house/fashion magazines that cost like hundreds of dollars! Gives me hope that if I ever try this it will pass the crucible test ( the missus ). She might even let me take it into the house.

Cheers

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Re: Pallet Coffee Table

It's appreciated Red (@redracer01)! I was actually planning on doing a lower set of legs, but my local Bunnings only stocks the 450mm so went with those as I wanted to build it that weekend. It turned out well because we have fallen into the habit of eating dinner in the loungeroom and it is a much better height than the previous coffee table. 

In saying that, it actually was only in the loungeroom for glamour shots so I could put it on marketplace. It was an experiment to see how quickly I could build these and if it was potentially profitable. Got it down to 2.5hours from pallet to table with coatings applied. Paint coats were water based and the topcoat was oil applied an hour after them. That's not great practice and certainly doesn't adhere to guidlines but after a week the coatings appear to have bonded fine.

Now my only issue is trying to remove it from the loungeroom. 😃

TeOwaina
Finding My Feet

Re: Pallet coffee table

How good does that look and simple. Time to give this a go. 👌🏽

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@TeOwaina,

Many thanks for your kind words! It's a great project with a minimal cost that anyone can complete in their spare time.

If you would like further details or need assistance, please let me know.

Mitchell

LorenaDIYS
Making a Splash

This looks great . Very creative 👌🏻🙌🏻

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LorenaDIYS

This is one of my favourite D.I.Y. pieces here on the site. It just captures that coastal feeling that I like so much. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects