Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Refurbished old Cedar draws with character

Oddchair22
Building a Reputation

Refurbished old Cedar draws with character

IMG_9161.jpeg

Old cedar draws that needed a makeover however I still wanted to capture the beautiful character of this piece without adding too much.

I sanded the whole piece removing the old varnish.

I used a milk paint wash in a light cocoa colour to create an ashy shade but still showing the grain and sanding back the wash once dry to create that beautiful old character.

I then sealed it with a satin finish clear varnish added new recycled hardware I found at a second hand hardware shop.

painted the interior of the draws in a soft pastel blue and sealed with same clear varnish.

I lightly sanded back sides of draws and sealed them with hemp oil to riches the wood grain and brighten up the beautiful cedar.

Materials

80, 240, and 400 grit sandpaper from Bunnings 

microfibre cloth from Bunnings 

Timber One satin finish clear varnish from Bunnings 

Vintage Bird Milk Paint (powder form)

water in the colour cocoa.

Vintage Bird Hemp Oil

Porters Newport Blue eggshell finish paint from Bunnings 

Recycled handles from Guilmartins Bendigo 

Tools

AEG orbital sander 

Paint brush ( 38mm Monarch chalk paint brush)

Both of the above purchased from Bunnings 

Steps

Step 1

1. Sand away all old varnish using orbital sander with 80 grit sand paper followed by 240 grit sand paper and finish off with a quick hand sand using 400 grit sand paper to achieve a smooth finish.

Wipe away all Dust using a microfibre cloth 

Step 2

Add 3 tablespoons of milk paint powder to 1 cup of water and this as a wash.

apply wash using Monarch brush in even one direction brush strokes. Allow around 2 minutes and then wipe away excess using a clean and dry microfibre cloth. This process will dry away excess moisture but leave a beautiful soft ashy tone of milk paint.

Step 3

When fully dry take a 400 grit sandpaper and sand entire piece very gently without applying too much pressure as we just want to smooth out the surface and remove any excess chalky powder left after paint wash has dried. Wipe away dusty residue.

This process gives the piece that beautiful old look with lots of unique character .

Step 4

Apply one coat of Timber One satin finish varnish to seal the paint wash and prevent it from staining and changing colour.

Step 5

Interior of draws I applied 3 coats of Porters Newport blue in the eggshell finish and sealed with same varnish.

the exterior sides of the draws I lightly sanded to clean them of old debri and the applied two coats of Hemp oil to rejuvenate and lubricate the wood so to avoid draws from sticking.

Step 6

Applied handles on draws. These were a second hand find but in almost new condition and perfect for the look I was wanting to achieve. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Refurbished old cedar draws with character

Hi @Oddchair22,

Another piece of art! Thank you for sharing your gorgeous cedar drawer upcycle project with us. I love the ashy effect you have done, was it hard to do? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Oddchair22
Building a Reputation

Thank you for your lovely comments @KatieC 🥰

It’s not a really difficult process at all and probably quicker than other painting processes. This wash look can also be done by using normal paint I have used both Taubmans and Dulux for several pieces and once again I would use 3 tablespoons of paint to one cup of water or alternatively you can add more paint for a deeper colour or less for a more transparent look. This technique is one of my favourite as it allows you to make any custom stain colour desired .

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Oddchair22

Thank you for the bonus tips and tricks! I am sure this will be very helpful to many members.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects