Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing a fluorescent tube with LED

Wheresmy10mm
Getting Established

Replacing a fluorescent tube with LED

Fluorescent TubeFluorescent TubePXL_20210902_003929670.jpgNot sure what this isNot sure what this isI think the round thing is the starter.I think the round thing is the starter.Google suggest to me this is a Magnetic-type ballastGoogle suggest to me this is a Magnetic-type ballastWhole imageWhole imageTakes a while to turn on, flickers, ends are blackTakes a while to turn on, flickers, ends are black
Hello,

I'm looking to replace the 1.2metre fluorescent tube (T8, I believe) in my home office with an LED light. 
I wanted to check if this particular one will be an easy replacement. 
https://www.bunnings.com.au/osram-1-2m-14w-2100lm-cool-white-led-fluoro-tube_p0203366

I would like to have an electrician over to change all the fluorescents to LEDs but lockdown rules omit having tradespeople over for non-urgent things. 

Will the Osram be a simple swap in the meantime? The description says it will only fit for Magnetic-type ballast which I believe mine is. 

Thank you
John

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing a fluorescent tube with LED

Hi John (@Wheresmy10mm),

Replacing your old-style fluorescent tube with an Osram 1.2m 14W 2100lm Cool White LED Fluoro Tube would be a great interim solution. You'll need to install the new LED tube and the included LED starter. This tube and starter will fit your current setup, and installation should be a five-minute job.

Let me know if you run into any difficulties. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi.Mitchell

your.instructions.have.not.mentioned.one.thing.about.eliminating.the.power.robbing.ballast.or.Capacitor.or.the.Wiring.Diagram.to.

suit.the.new.LED.tube.for.maximum.efficiency,whether.SHUNTED.and.NON.SHUNTED.

Why?

Bernie

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for your message Bernie (@beevee) a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

As Mitch is away for the next couple of days, let me tag a couple of experienced electricians in the community for their thoughts on this old discussion: @MikeTNZ and @CSParnell.

Jason

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hi @beevee Mitch has not mentioned this because this would not be common knowledge and honestly the Bunnings Workshop Team cannot know everything about every area including spealcailised trades.

In general the LED tube replacements are sold as a DIY for fittings that have an iron core ballast and a starter where you can swap the tube right out reducing some power consumption but not all because you still have losses in the ballast. The tubes also have no loss in light emitting like fluoro tubes they are on or off and they do have longer runtime hours or so they promote.

If you were concerned with energy consumption and wanted to reduce it for that particular light then yes the light could be convertered but that has to be carried out by a licensed electrician and at that cost why bother with an old fitting with old tombstones you would replace the lot. 

Else you could replace the existing tube with a Smart Tube, install a Smart motion sensor, run an automation so that when no motion for 5min turn tube off and then you are saving energy use.

So plenty of ways to skin the cat just depends on which way someone wants to do it.

Remember all electrical work needs to be carried out by a licensed electrician in all states of Australia 🇦🇺 

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Jason,

Bearing in mind that the OP was from 2 years ago, hence the lock-down rules mentioned, I think this might have been sorted......

However, just a bit of advice to people that still own these light fittings, when the tube(s) become black on either end, it is time to replace the fitting.

The reason I say that is because the mercury in the tube has condensed at either end and can cause either the ballast or the capacitor to fail, leaving a fitting like this can be a fire hazard, as it takes more current to start and maintain light output from the tube.

One other thing, because of the mercury in the tube(s), be very careful how you dispose of them, in fact get the electrician that replaces your light fitting to do this.

Fluorescent lights are old technology and aren't worth the up-keep.

Cheers,

Mike T.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @beevee. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about retrofitting fluorescent fittings with LED tubes.

The original question was in regard to replacing a fluorescent tube with an LED tube. The Osram 1.2m 14W 2100lm Cool White LED Fluoro Tube allows anyone to easily switch to LED without the need to call an electrician. It is designed as a direct replacement and no alteration of the fluorescent fitting is required. Unfortunately, I am unable to offer guidance about altering the wiring and removing the ballast. If you were considering a permanent move to LED lighting, then I can recommend having an electrician install a dedicated Brilliant 36W 120cm White DIY Scintil LED CCT Batten Light.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects