Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replicate a $359 table for $10

lauraahearn
Building a Reputation

Replicate a $359 table for $10

Spare cardboard cylinders? Just make a table with it 😊 

Using the inner cardboard cylinders that I found at Bunnings in the Shade Cloth section from the bulk rolls of shade cloth, I asked a team member if I could take these as they were going to be thrown in the rubbish. Using a hand saw, I cut these into lengths of 550mm (one cylinder measures approx 2m from a large roll) so there were a few smaller pieces leftover for another project. Sanding the bottoms of the cylinders ensured I had a steady surface and no rough bits. I purchased a $5 wooden side table top from Bunnings and painted this in a white wash. I used a kitchen bowl to draw the circle of where I’d place all of the cylinders evenly, and using selleys liquid nails, stuck them down ensuring I stuck to the circular guide I had traced. I used some filler to fill the gaps between each cylinder and the same white paint for the legs. 

FE063B21-F577-4AE9-AD5A-D2BA0D6297F5.jpeg

A8BC8B09-EF60-4A16-90C1-A72FC2F1BA5F.jpeg

dorabulldog
Having an Impact

Re: Replicate a $359 table for $10

That is really SO clever! How did you ensure the “legs” were even or are you just a very good hand saw-er? :smile:

@dorabulldog I had to use a table top and clamp to make sure they stayed in place and I cut them straight. I’ve got a very accurate eye too :wink:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lauraahearn

I've seen those cardboard rolls and they are very thick, it doesn't surprise me that you had to use a saw to cut them down to size. It's a fantastic-looking table and very affordable to build, the best part is that parts of it are made from recycled cardboard.

Thank you for sharing such an amazing table assembly.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dorabulldog

I totally agree it's such a clever table design. However, in order to replicate this project, you'll either need to wait for an empty cardboard cylinder in the flooring department or use Porta 30 x 12mm 2.4m Moulding Tasmanian Oak Half Round Select. Understandably it is much smaller, but still has the round timber effect that is so popular these days.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hi @EricL another option might be some 100mm PVC storm water pipe.

Screenshot_20220804-180313_Bunnings Product Finder.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @CSParnell

That is a fantastic alternative to cardboard tubes! Let me tag @dorabulldog to make them aware of your suggestion.

Eric

Love this idea too! The pvc piping was definitely an idea, however I try to base my projects on designing something for the most minimal cost. Replicating higher end designer furniture 🤍

Totally understand @lauraahearn and it looks fantastic well done.

Thank you @CSParnell  - great idea!!!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects