Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Repurpose old sewing kit to makeup storage box

bellee78
Growing in Experience

Repurpose old sewing kit to makeup storage box

When I found the old sewing kit from Facebook market place, I immediately thought about making makeup storage box. 

F9E29F38-58EB-4B94-9A42-464C37C18EB2.jpeg

I used Rust Oleum Chalked paint (Linen white) for base, sanded, and I applied Porters Egg Shell paint (Hampton Blue and Petal Pink) to layers, supporting side sticks and handle. 

1F510F90-D349-4328-A008-1701EF861F66.jpeg

For the top coat, I used Rust Oleum Top Coat Clear Matt. 

176F3D43-2D62-4C28-80D9-7EC7B5E730A6.jpeg

Now I have enough storage for my cosmetics and jewellery. I love the color combination that it looks very fresh compare before. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repurpose old sewing kit to makeup storage box

Hi @bellee78,

What a fantastic way of repurposing an item to give it a new lease on life. I trust it will now provide you with many years of useful service.

The Rustoleum chalked range and Porter's original range are fantastic products and have been really popular for giving timber items a fresh new look.

Many thanks for sharing your project and we look forward to seeing what you'll be creating next.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Great job! I’m currently looking to revamp a jewellery stand in similar fashion to your idea... do I sand before applying any paint? Did you use spray chalk paint or paint brush? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and thanks for joining in the discussion @megleah. It's fantastic to have you join us.

Let me tag @bellee78 for you so they are alerted to your questions. 

Please feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. We trust you'll get loads of inspiration and advice from our helpful members. And please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bellee78
Growing in Experience

Hi @megleah,

thank you for your comment!

i used chalk paint with brush. It is very easy to use it and in case making wrong touch, it is easy to correct them as well. Will you share with me once you done with your jewellery box? I wan to see what others marking it as well!! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects