Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Restoring old table corners

taha
Finding My Feet

Restoring old table corners

table.jpg

how do i fix this ..any diy tricks 

\plz help

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Restoring old table corners

Hi @taha,

I would believe the best course of action would be to sand with the grain using Flexovit 100mm x 1m 400 Grit Wet And Dry Sandpaper Roll. I'm not sure of what the coating is but in order for you to repair just this section it would need to be similar to what has been used previously. It is quite possibly a Shellac coating. Alternatively, you could sand the whole top back with a Sandblaster™ 320 Grit Fine Between Coats Sanding Sponge. You'll then be able to coat with an interior varnish.

Let me mention some of our woodworking experts @Poppop, @r23on, @woodenwookie and @APEX_Restore to see if they could offer their expertise.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

In order to see if this has a Shellac finish or a varnish grab some metho on a cloth and give a firm rub. If its shellac it will become sticky if its varnish or a poly type product it will have a white finish to it. If it shellac you will need to do some research on how to restore a shellac finish or sand back and use a poly product

Poppop
Making a Splash

I suppose it depends on what sort of end result you're wanting. It's an interesting looking desk that could benefit from a complete restoration. Or for a quick fix you could just sand back the border edge trims and recoat with a varnish.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects