Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Retro buffet upcycle

Ranya
Building a Reputation

Retro buffet upcycle

I got this buffet for free on Facebook market place and oh it needed quite a bit of work!

The glass sliding doors weren’t exactly sliding, big chunks of veneer missing from the sides and it had a million layers of paint.

And the cherry on top was this smell that tells you how old this buffet was (I tell you at the end of this how I got rid of it)!

20D56F9D-F735-468E-85C3-99AA954ED26A.jpeg

46907C9E-37A3-40BB-88B1-2F85EA7555DC.jpeg

Here is how and what I used for this makeover :

Cleaned the piece really well using Selley’s sugar soap. I then got to sanding using my Ryobi orbital sander and look what I found!

F039C40D-7B6A-4094-9EC3-39FE048F76F6.jpeg

Layers and layers of paint, so I continued sanding until I got to the bare wood.

Tip: if you want to up-cycle a piece of furniture that was unprofessionally painted, you’d want to remove all the old paint so your new paint can adhere well to the surface.

Once that was done, I filled up all the gouges caused by the missing veneer using Timber are’s wood filler, waited for it to dry and sanded it smooth.

492AF869-4AF0-44C0-8E34-B5CB1F0364B7.jpeg

I then primed the entire piece using British paints 4 in 1 primer followed by 3 coats of that beautiful burnt orange colour by Pureco.

for the legs, I used Rust-Oleum spray paint in black and White-knight spray paint in gold.

for the shelves, I used this herringbone adhesive paper from Bunnings (by Boyle), attached the new hardware and there you have it

61D917B5-ECEE-477D-8D73-ACC7568EB040.jpeg

7998B351-41BE-4F90-90D2-0391F873A6E2.jpeg

B38E948E-0646-4B4C-9456-731BBBFD21DC.jpeg

And to remove the bad smell, which was predominantly in the drawers, I wiped the insides with vinegar, let it dry in the sun and conditioned all the exposed wood with Gilly's Carnauba polish which smells AMAZING! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Retro buffet upcycle

Beautiful piece of furniture @Ranya. Many thanks for sharing the detail about how you went about the restoration process. I'm sure members will find your post really helpful as well as inspiring.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Wendyjoyhall
Building a Reputation

Re: Retro buffet upcycle

Fantastic work!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects