Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shallow built-in wardrobes

jamant01
Getting Established

Shallow built-in wardrobes

Hi!

My bedroom wardrobes are extremely shallow - I can't hang  a regular coat hanger without it getting stuck on the sliding doors. There is no room in the cavity to push backwards as there is solid brick behind... all I can think of is that I would have to build out if I wanted to increase the depth... but then the wardrobe would not be flush with the wall, so I'm not sure if that is the best way to go...

Anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to increase the depth of my wardrobe? 

If building out is the only option... how would I best go about that?

Thanks!! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shallow built-in wardrobes

Hello @jamant01

It's great to see your next project in the house! Thank you for your sharing your question about your shallow built in-wardrobes. 

In order for us to give you comprehensive advice. Can I please ask you to post a picture and provide the measurements of your wardrobe? Once we see the wardrobe shape, we will be able to give you some creative ideas on how to add more depth to your wardrobe. In the meantime, you might like to read through this guide: Five ways to maximise wardrobe space.

We look forward to seeing those pictures and providing you with possible solutions. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jamant01
Getting Established

Hello @EricL ! I've finally got around to adding the photos! 

The first image is the wardrobe itself, the second and third demonstrate the depth of the wardrobe and that a standard coat hanger is slightly larger.

IMG_6925 2.jpgIMG_6907 2.jpgIMG_6906 2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jamant01

Thank you so much for posting those photos and measurements of your wardrobe.

Looking at the measurements you posted using a standard hanger will not work. If we move the wardrobe rail forward, it will allow you to hang your clothes properly with room to spare. However, you will not be able to re-install your wardrobe doors as your clothing hangers will now be in the way of the doors. Installing forward-facing poles will work but is not a good use of space and limits the number of items you can place in your closet. Plus the fact that getting items from the back of the pile will be very difficult.

You could add extra timber framing to the existing wardrobe to allow you to reposition and re-install the sliding doors. This will of course be noticeable as it would be jutting out of the wall. I suggest considering an open-type wardrobe system. Using the Flexi Storage 1.8m White Wardrobe Starter Kit your wardrobe becomes a feature of the room and not something to be hidden.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to organise your wardrobe 

Let me tag our experienced members @prettyliving and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your new wardrobe layout.

Eric

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

@jamant01 

I have no idea how you could extend the wardrobe but one solution that might help you be able to use it for now is to get some rotating space saver hangers, they’re not as wide as a standard hanger so should fit in there fine. 

B028A77E-5E6B-4137-AEC4-8198B90586B0.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @prettyliving

That is a fantastic option and an excellent suggestion for narrow wardrobes. Let me tag @jamant01 to make sure they see your recommendation. Thank you for sharing that idea.

Eric

jamant01
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL  and @prettyliving for your suggestions. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects