Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shoe rack - Stain and oil upgrade

alter_mind
Finding My Feet

Shoe rack - Stain and oil upgrade

Hey everyone! Thought I’d share this basic upgrade of the $12 2-Tier shoe-rack I recently purchased from Bunnings (hesitant to call it an “upcycle” per se as it was bought new with the intention of working on it)  - it was heaps of fun and I’m not particularly experienced with timber finishing by any means but I was stoked with the result. Very surprised with the details that the stain and oil brought out of such a cheap product! I’m planning on doing the same with a few timber crates.

It was about an hour or two of work (not including drying times) and involved a light sand of all components with fine-grit, followed by a brush/clean to get rid of the dust, and then 1 coat Proofseal, 1 heavy coat Brown Japan, 2 light coats Scandinavian Oil (all Feast & Watson products), left for 24 hours before re-assembly. The cherry box was the real winner here, thanks to the rack legs having protruding threads, they could easily be poked through the box for ease of coating & drying.

Hope you all have a great weekend! :smile:

E6EA2ABC-E2B3-4F78-BB3D-7A77E633CA42.jpeg

E92D2206-F084-4B35-B69D-A7EECAD53D72.jpeg

80B341C7-A195-47B8-81FB-82D0C4B58A23.jpeg

21A75077-F148-48C8-9A60-A3272977E8F2.jpeg

B77C6A40-5720-419C-958C-EFEA5F231CDB.jpeg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shoe Rack - Stain & Oil Upgrade

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @alter_mind. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your project.

What an excellent way to upgrade the All Set 2 Tier Fir Wood Shoe Rack. That timber grain you've exposed is really something special.

I'm sure your project will inspire our members to give it a go themselves. In return, I trust you'll find plenty of ideas and inspiration for your projects within the community. We have plenty of clever and creative members like yourself sharing their projects here every day.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please reach out anytime you have something to share or need advice.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Cheers Mitchell, happy to be here!

I’ve been lurking for a while and decided it was about time to join in and hopefully contribute something useful in return - this space is fantastic!

I’m sure I’ll have more to share and no doubt plenty of advice to seek in the near future.

Thanks again,

Aydan

Just thought I'd also extend a warm welcome @alter_mind. Great to see you share your first project with the community. Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects