Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sideboard makeover

Wendy56
Cultivating a Following

Sideboard makeover

My old pine sideboard was looking decidedly dated and very orange.  Because it was solid pine I decided not to replace it, but give it a summer makeover to bring some light and tropical vibe into our dining room. 

this involved cleaning, sanding and repainting the doors, and I also lined the shelves with rattan cane adhesive contact to add some additional interest and texture. 

I left some of the pine unpainted, and the finished article looks great with the addition of some new rattan knobs.

Materials

Sugar soap for cleaning, sandpaper for sanding, white paint for the doors, rattan contact adhesive for the shelves

Tools

Bucket, sponges, sandpaper, paint, brush Screwdriver, to remove hinges, and door knobs

Steps

Step 1

Removed doors and thoroughly cleaned the unit with sugar soap.

IMG_9327.jpeg

Before 

Step 2

Sanded doors with fine grade sandpaper

Wiped down with sugar soap before applying two coats of matte paint

IMG_9356.jpeg

Step 3

refitted doors, and door knobs when paint was thoroughly dry

IMG_9359.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sideboard makeover

Hi @Wendy56,

Your sideboard makeover is a fantastic example of transforming a dated piece of furniture into a fresh and stylish addition to your dining room. I love how you've added your own touches like the rattan knobs and lining, to create a unique piece.

Has it become a focal point in the space, and how do you feel about preserving the solid pine while incorporating modern elements to create a harmonious and inviting atmosphere? 

Sensational job and many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects