Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Squeaky floorboards under carpet

jowens
Getting Established

Squeaky floorboards under carpet

carpet1.jpg

I have squeaky floor boards in the living room and in the bedrooms.

The living room is not carpeted but the bedrooms are.

I was going to remove the carpet to have a look but might cause the carpet to go loose its original place.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Squeaky floorboards under carpet

Hi @jowens,

Welcome to Workshop. Great to see you make your first post. I'm sure our ever-helpful members will have some suggestions for you. Do you have any access under the house to see the floorboards?

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We look forward to reading more about your home improvement projects and plans. And please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Removing existing carpet to investigate sqeaky floor boards is an involved process. If the carpet is removed or temporarily peeled off do you have the tools to re-lay it? If you do its a matter of process of elimination, by walking on the board without the carpet and finding the sqeaky area. Once found simply drill in some drywall screws to secure the loose board. Remember to drill to the frame and not just into the sqeaky area. Walk over it again to make sure there are no more sqeaks. Then relay the carpet. Please note that this just a suggestion and not the only way to fix sqeaky floors. This a common symptom of timber houses due to the nature of the material used. Sometimes we have to live with sqeak.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

jowens
Getting Established

Thankyou for that, will have a look and see. It seems to look like a big task. I am new to this so it can be daunting.

Prof
Becoming a Leader

I had squeaky floor boards in a rental many years ago..used to drive me mad!
Someone suggested I rub some talcum powder into the joint where the boards were squeaking..Incredibly..no more squeaks!!
jowens
Getting Established

Hi Prof, thanks for that. i have carpet running all over them so deciding on how to work on the carpet and then the floor.

folubode
Growing in Experience

I also learned that the squeaking maybe because they used nails to fasten the boards and using screws might grip boards firmer and less or no squeaking. I haven't tried that though but make sense
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @folubode. Welcome to the community. We're looking forward to reading about your projects and plans.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jowens
Getting Established

awesome will try that out

nickt1
Just Starting Out

How about some of these? 

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/squeeeeek-no-more-no-more-floor-repair-kit/p/270062

You dont need to lift the carpet-come on guys bunnings should have been on to these long ago.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects