Bunning Workshop has been a great help for me to learn and do my DIY stuff.
Yet again, I am stuck with one project.
I am installing double rods and curtains on them in my living room.
They are (not necessary, but wanted to create a background):
Second rod (for sheer curtains):https://www.spotlightstores.com/curtains-blinds/curtain-poles-tracks-fixtures/curtain-poles/windowsh...
I never weigh them ( 2 thick curtains, 2 sheer curtains, 1 main rod, 1 sheer rod). I assume their weight would have been less than around 5 KG.
I used these wall anchors: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-nylon-wallmate-mini-anchor-4-pack_p2260949
They are designed for 5kg according to what is written on the cover.
In total, I had to use 6 anchors.
2 on the left side of the window ( mostly straight to drywall) + 2 on the middle of the frame on top of the window ( sometimes to drywall, sometimes I used to find stud) + 2 on the right side of the window ( mostly straight to drywall).
Now I am seeing some swollen (sorry, if this is not the right word) drywall around the top screws in the bracket. Did I do some mistakes here or did I follow some wrong methods? I am worried if it brings down the drywall. Please check the image here:
With plasterboard fixings, you should use a product that exceeds your required weight. If you use fixings which only just cover the weight of the item then over time they will pull out. In your case, you have a standout bracket which puts the weight of the curtains away from the wall and this exponentially increases the stress on the fixing. What might have weighed 3kg now weighs 5kg and is maxing out the fixings. If someone was to then pull on the curtain you would be exceeding the weight that the fixing can support. For curtains, I would recommend spring toggles as they can support up to 10kgs.
This might not be a case of too much weight but possibly how the fixings were installed. The raised plaster can be caused if the plastic screw fitting is overtightened or if you do not apply forwards pressure when screwing it in or the plaster/paint was already compromised. This raised plaster could just be a cosmetic top layer of paint/plaster that is being pulled out like this. I've had a similar thing happen to me on several occasions. The fixings have all still held perfectly fine in the wall.
If you are worried about it damaging the plaster further then you could remove it and replace it with a spring toggle.
Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.
Thanks for the reply.
2 more windows to do and I will use spring toggle on them and will see what difference I get.
4 weeks ago, I had installed 3 windows with 5kg Ramset wall anchors, they are doing fine so far.
The problem I mentioned above ( raising of plaster wall) was from those windows which I worked on last Sunday.
We don't have kids ( to play and pull the curtains) and we are just husband and wife. I think I will waiting until the situation starts getting worst from those curtains which I had already worked on so far.
In the worst-case scenario, if I have to use Spring Toggles, do you think it will be a good idea to use the same holes on plasterboard which I used for Wall Anchors for the curtains I already worked on?
In that case, I would think this swollen plaster issue occurred when you were screwing the white plastic fitting in and not from the weight. As I mentioned, it has happened to me before. I would leave them as they are and see if you have further issues. If you were to switch to spring toggles I would install them in the same holes. They have wings which expand inside the hole and capture a larger area of plaster. There won't be any reason to create new holes.
@MitchellMc Appreciate your suggestions and instructions. I will see how they go for a couple of weeks
After 3 weeks, it did not work and I found out this yesterday.
These are rods with 5+5KG(Left), stud & (5+5kg) right wall anchors.
For my first living room, I used a 10KG spring toggle and followed this sequence 10kg ST (Left) + Stud + 10KG ST ( Right). The same Spring Toggle, you mentioned in the above post. They seem to be working fine and look firm as well. I am planning to use the exactly same Spring Toggle for these rods as well. Big job again.
Do you think, I can use the same hole again ?
There seems to be a lot of damage being done to the plaster by these fixings. Either the plaster is compromised, or there is more weight than the fixings can hold. Normally to pull the plaster away like that a significant weight above 5 kg would be needed. In the images above, you can see by the texture that there has been a previous repair to the plaster in this section.
I think the best option is to use the spring toggles and to move locations if possible.
Yesterday, I used Spring Toggles of 10Kg on the Left and Right Sides of the pole but inserted them on only one hole of each curtain holder. It felt okay for me. So, this time it has two (10Kgs) Spring toggles and a center curtain holder to the stud. I moved the location closer to the window frame.