Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Table made from hardwood pallets

dean
Building a Reputation

Table made from hardwood pallets

I have only been playing around with wood for 2 months now, and at the start of September i decided to build a table after i completed a coffee table with built in planter box. My ambition vs my ability was very out of whack..lol. I found that the hardwood pallets were mostly gum, so it gave some great assorted colours and grains. I don't have a plan, i just start to build and work from there. Staring at the wood for ideas...lol. The feet were built from the pallet braces, and combining them together. After i sanded it back, i then oiled it twice with 50:50 Linseed and turps, while sanding in between coats. After that i finished off with a couple of coats of Wax applied with Steel wool. Pretty happy with end result. 

20190913_172050.jpg20190913_172109.jpg

Added a piece on top to protect table a bit. 

20190915_150402.jpg

My first attempt at inside furniture. Coffee Table with Planter Box. 

20190826_071016.jpg20190825_202450.jpg

Dean Macaw
dean
Building a Reputation

Re: Table made from Hardwood Pallets

Thanks Terry, many hardwood pallets become landfill, so i keep my eye out around industrial sites, where they are just left out on the curb.I started with pine, and when i discovered the hardwood pallets were mostly spotted gum, i could not resist.

Dean Macaw
dean
Building a Reputation

Methyl Bromide (Stamp and codeMB), a harmful chemical used to fumigate pallets which makes it bug-resistant; perfect for import/export shipping.

As a general rule of thumb, avoid using MB (Methyl Bromide) stamped or coloured pallets for any of your projects.

Pallets with no stamps or codes are referred to as “national pallets” and are used for domestic freight/shipping. Though they are not treated with chemicals it is hard to tell where all pallets come from and what they were used for, e.g. a pesticide company or chemical processing company to name a few.

Dean Macaw

Hi bluemoonskye, I  see your question has already been answered but as a matter of courtesy I will duplicate it, MB is a stamp present on a pallet that has been treated with Methyl Bromide, a quite toxic chemical.

In general, the "pallet recycling" community recommend only using pallets stamped "HT" = Heat Treated which is obviously much safer to use.

In truth the pallet manufacturing industry indicates that the MB gases off within 48 hours or so, and actually supports those pallets thus treated being reused for other purposes, but for most, including myself, it's a "better safe than sorry" approach.

It's important to note that MB was the fumigant of choice in Australia for many import/exports, until 2005 when it was decided to phase it out, not because of it's toxicity, but because it is a an ozone depletion substance.

It is still used to fumigate imported and exported stockfeed.

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Re: Table made from hardwood pallets

@dean   All I can say is wow, wow and wow again.  This is a perfect example of trash into treasure...   Great to see the old pallet brought back to life, better than it was before..

Keep up your amazing work and @dean  please please share.  It gives us LEARNERS that don't have the chance or the talent to be able to make something so lovely - the HOPE that we may some day create something half as lovely.

This Old Gal

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Fantastic, amazing work!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Bryan2409
Finding My Feet

May I have some details on how you constructed the legs for the table please.

Welcome to the Workshop community @Bryan2409. It's great to have you join us!

Let me notify @dean of your question to see if they are able to provide some assistance. The legs they have created have some elegant construction techniques and it would be great to hear in some detail how they were made.

You'll find many creative members contributing amazing projects and knowledge here daily. I trust they'll provide some great inspiration for your own projects.

If you need assistance or have something to share please don't hesitate to hit that "Start a discussion" button.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dean
Building a Reputation

@Bryan2409 

Hi Brian, i created the legs and feet with the batons from the hardwood pallets. I first glued them together and the screwed them.  i then created the extra bits to sit on top. The legs were the same. I really had no plan, as for anything i have built. I sit there and stare at the wood, and get ideas, and start from there..lol As this was one of my first things i built, i learnt a lot from my mistakes.. lol. I have attached some photos. PS..as this is hardwood from pallets, i am dealing with wood that is not straight - as you can see there is a bow in the legs..lol..that makes it more fun...

20190905_154652.jpg20190902_180902.jpg20190902_180908.jpg20190902_193404.jpg

Dean Macaw

Thank you very much Dean, much appreciated. Job well done my friend.

dean
Building a Reputation

No worries Bryan2409, as i mentioned in the original post it was a sheer mix up of ambition verses ability..lol. But i managed to pull it off.. I was just amazed how it came up when i oil and waxed it all.. The grain popped. 

Dean Macaw

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects