Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tips wanted for painting particleboard

nparrella95
Cultivating a Following

Tips wanted for painting particleboard

Hi All,

I am looking to do a bit of a furniture makeover with some old furniture I have.

I have a set of Ikea drawers and matching bed frame. I am looking to paint this white to match other items of furniture throughout the house.

From my understanding, the material is Particleboard with an Acrylic paint.

Can I please have any recommendations for 

1. Best way to prep surface for paint (I am assuming a good sanding will be a good start?)

2. Best paints for the job (as mentioned looking to turn white, likely a Matt white if anything) 

3. If a base primer is required.

Any assistance is appreciated  :smile: 

6cd42f50-0b3d-4bfd-b141-84a94e099346.jpg

Chest of DrawersChest of Drawers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tips wanted for painting particleboard

Hi @nparrella95,

The Dulux Precision Primer is going to be the real star of the show. It's an ideal preparation for hard-to-paint surfaces. It will prevent you from spending hours tediously sanding back the surface. Start by cleaning the surfaces with some Sugar soap and then giving the surfaces a light scuffing with 120-grit sandpaper. Once you've removed any dust, you'll then be able to apply the primer and topcoat as per instructions. I'd recommend a water-based enamel, like Dulux Aquanamel, for the topcoat as it is hard-wearing.

You'll find the complete preparation and application instructions on the Precision Primer and Aquanamel product pages.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects