Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tray for eye glasses or keys

JoeAzza
Amassing an Audience

Tray for eye glasses or keys

A25.JPG

I had some off cuts from an Ash wood timber bench top for my workshop mobile bench recent build. I decided to make a small tray to keep glasses or keys. I decided to make a round tray and router out the center section. I finished the tray with Danish oil and a wax finish . See images attached.

A1.JPGA2.JPGA3.JPGA4.JPGA5.JPGA6.JPGA7.JPGA8.JPGA9.JPGA10.JPGA11.JPGA12.JPGA13.JPGA14.JPGA15.JPGA16.JPGA17.JPGA18.JPGA19.JPGA20.JPGA21.JPGA22.JPGA23.JPGA24.JPGA26.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tray for eye glasses or keys

As someone who doesn't have a lathe, I find this a fascinating method of creating a tray @JoeAzza. I do have a router and would be quite keen to give this a go.

Many thanks for sharing this unique construction method and your project. It's turned out fantastic, and I'm sure many of our members would be keen to try this themselves.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @JoeAzza ,

That sir is just a perfect piece of woodwork. Inspired in its creation despite making it look simple. I would have thought to put this in to a timber lathe and slowly carve away the wood. But using the router as the lathe and that amazing jig to give you perfect circles is just genius! I am curious how long did it take to finish? How many coats of danish did you apply? Thank you so much for sharing this fantastic creation and I'm sure for those members with routers in their tool kit, its definitely a project that's going to go on the "to do" list! 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

JoeAzza
Amassing an Audience

Hi Red @redracer01.

Thank you, it took me 3 batteries approx 3 to 4 hrs using an 18 volt Makita trimmer/router and a 6mm carbide spiral upcut router bit, lots of sanding to finish. I applied one coat of Cabot's Danish oil and then when dry applied my homemade version of wax, (ingredients, 50% Beeswax, 50% coconut oil, a few drops on vanilla and lavender essence).

Joe

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects