Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Trying to hang a picture frame without stud

gavin16
Growing in Experience

Trying to hang a picture frame without stud

Hi experts, Trying to hang my picture frame attached on the plaster board which is hollow (no stud). Struggling to install the picture hook.The hole on the plasterboard measuring about 5mm but I have no idea.what is the best picture hook or toggle wall plug to use? Any ideas that may work? Or ignore the hole and put in another kind picture hook(with nail on it)?

cc27b4aa-0fc1-4ff5-a64d-01d4778c9225.jpg

Picture frame.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Trying to hang a picture frame without stud

Hi @gavin16

The item you're looking at is the second part of a Ramset 16mm Hollow Wall Anchor - 4 Pack. Instead of filling it over with a plasterboard repair compound, the previous owner has just painted over the anchor. If you're hanging a picture on the same anchor, I recommend using Ramset Hollow Wall Anchor With Hook - 2 Pack.

I suggest testing the anchor by putting the screw of the Hollow Wall Anchor in and seeing if it is still viable. It should still be stiff and well anchored, there should be no shifting or looseness about it. Once you've determined that it's still in good condition, you can attach the hook and hang your picture. However, if it's faulty, I suggest installing a fresh new anchor. I've placed a picture below to give you an idea of how the anchor works.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects