Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Under stairs storage

jaiprak
Having an Impact

Under stairs storage

Had an full empty space under he stairs that I have no idea why it was closed. So decided to open it to create additional storage space. Most of the DIY tutorials are from Bunnings and Gyprock.

Materials

• Plasterboard
  • plasterboard jointing compound
  • plasterboard glue
  • door jamb
  • door
  • skirting
  • lots of nails and screws
  • structutal pine
  • carpet and smooth edge
  • paint

Tools

• Sander
  • saw
  • mutli tool
  • Impact driver 
  • drill
  • hand tools

Steps

Step 1

First opened a small area of the plasterboard that I was confident to close in case it turned out to be complex one.

IMG_8583.jpeg

Step 2

Once the small area is opened assess load bearing of the studs and create necessary space to place door frame with structural pine. Double and triple do your math to include door opening, door jamb spaces as needed. Plus add 10 mm to be safe.

IMG_8584.jpeg

Step 3

Add door frame and door jamb. Cross check measurements to be sure that you have enough space for door plus some offset

IMG_8588.jpeg

Step 4

Add door and finish the inside with plasterboard and MDF

IMG_8829.jpeg

Step 5

Finish plasterboard with jointing compound and tape and sand (this is where I got lazy). Install skirting boards. use wood filler close all holes and then paint

Step 6

Install smooth edge along the perimeter and lay down carpet. Install shelves.

IMG_8873.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Under Stairs Storage

What a fantastic project and an amazing amount of space that you've taken back, @jaiprak!  

You've done a splendid job, and your attention to detail really shows.

Many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Under stairs storage

Good afternoon @jaiprak 

Nice way of regaining some space :smile: Your door is messing with my spatial awarness tho lol The doorway looks 2/3rds a standard door and the open doorway with the door attached looks like a standard door? How wide is it and did you special order a door? (I have a door in my sunroom that is smaller then normal and have even considered moving the wall just to make it the same! :smile:

I do think its a trick of my eyes tho.

Dave

Re: Under stairs storage

You have eagle eyes. It is a 520. Got it via special order. I would have had to realign 2 studs if I needed 620 door. So didn’t go down that route.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects