Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycle makeover - Boardgame buffet

amyhogan
Getting Established

Upcycle makeover - Boardgame buffet

653DF8D2-9DFF-41AF-A098-BE82E026FEC8.jpeg

I have always enjoyed creative pursuits, and during high school absolutely loved my woodwork classes. In 2022, I wanted to reconnect to some of my old hobbies and thought a perfect way to do this was to revisit some handy work. After some inspiration on the Bunnings Instagram page, and other DIY pages, I decided to start scrolling Facebook market place for a cabinet in need of some TLC.

My husband and I are big board game nuts, and for over 2 years straight hosted our friends for dinner and games every Monday night. This was a tradition we loved, however it resulted in us having board games spilling out of every drawer and shelf in our house.

So, I set out to find a cabinet with the right shape and size for my project. Once I found one (and convinced my husband to drive across Perth to pick it up!), I was off and away.

After reading a lot of online tutorials and how-to’s I headed to Bunnings for my supplies. It was a roasting 35 degree weekend when I started, but I totally got lost in the process and didn’t care about the heat. After two days of work I had a newfound appreciation for DIY, realising it isn’t as easy as the pros make it look! I also quickly realised that one Bunnings visit was never going to be enough, and found myself jutting down to the shops several times (note to self: but the right stuff from the beginning, it will save time and money!).

The products I ended up using included:

Taubmans Endure Interior Paint

Feast Watson Liming White

Feast Watson Clear Varnish (Satin)

Scotch General Painting Tape

Long story short, two weekends later, I had my finished product and was so proud of it. It now houses all of our board games and a few of our books, adding some character to our home!

17594797-F896-4318-BD10-12E26FCB68F7.jpeg

DF4DDA87-2F44-466A-AE75-0835261734F8.jpeg

78C259B5-8565-463C-A13F-2F22B32DE19C.jpeg

E598D401-AE8B-47CF-986E-150DAEE5B595.jpeg

  

783123CD-87DC-4FCB-B7E3-4448DFBCD5C1.jpeg

73C57220-D080-4484-BCE7-2635D0F6A9D7.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upcycle makeover - Boardgame buffet

Hello @amyhogan

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your board game buffet upcycling project.

It's great to hear that you've decided to reconnect with your old hobbies. You've chosen excellent paint to use on your cabinet, can you please tell us the name of the colour you've chosen? It looks fantastic, the satin finish on the top gives it a nice contrast to the deep colour of the cabinet. I foresee that more board games will be getting stored in the cabinet.       

Again, thank you for sharing your board game buffet upcycling project. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
amyhogan
Getting Established

Re: Upcycle makeover - Boardgame buffet

Hi @EricL 

Thank you! 

It was Shimmering Sea (T15 68.7). It did take me a while to settle on a colour, but very happy with my choice. The paint was great too! 

Amy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects