Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled TV unit using paint

slv
Getting Established

Upcycled TV unit using paint

Tv unit was originally stained quite dark. I had then painted the whole unit white and changed the knobs added baskets as the doors were missing. Recently stripped and sanded the whole thing and painted some areas with porters  paint in hamptons blue

Steps

Step 1

Applied stripper to the areas I wanted bare wood and stripped off the paint repeating up to 3 times in some areas

Step 2

Sanded the bare wood areas using a combination of electric sanders and elbow grease

Step 3

Taped off the bare wood areas , thoroughly wiped down the surfaces to be painted so they were free of dust and used the paint stands to lift the unit off the ground.

Applied 3 coats of porters pain in hamptons blue

Step 4

Waxed the bare wood, and replaced knobs.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: upcycled tv unit

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @slv. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your project.

You've achieved a lovely effect there, and I'm a real fan of how the raw timber and baskets are complemented by your colour choice. I can imagine removing the stained timber and achieving the blonde look took a great deal of work. Do you happen to have any before images that you could share? I'm sure our members would be keen to see what you started with.

Well done!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
slv
Getting Established

0348C7D2-E233-48D6-95ED-E4B83B40AB87.png

slv
Getting Established

1E8A2D6E-BEED-4DFF-9153-E53EB15BFA6F.png

It was white for a while but I wasn’t a fan! 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Upcycled TV unit using paint

Hello @slv,

Many thanks for providing us with details of what the unit looked like earlier. I agree with @MitchellMc, that's a splendid transformation.

This project will make for a great entry in our 2023 search for Australia's best D.I.Y. projects so I've gone ahead and submitted it for you.

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I look forward to seeing what you tackle next.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects