Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled bedside tables

sara22au
Cultivating a Following

Upcycled bedside tables

In our little town, we often place unwanted items out onto the verge, and anyone can take them!

These bedside tables were something I picked up, and they were the most awful baby poo brown I'd ever seen! However, being solid pine, the Reno potential was limitless!

After a full sand to remove the yuck that was on them, I decided to do a mix of whitewashing to show off the grain, and block colour for the top and trim. All paint and sanding equipment from Bunnings, and although I originally thought of using chalk paint, I ended up using eggshell white all in one primer/paint and top coat paint, and mixed in black to create the grey tone I wanted.

Whitewashing was achieved by diluting the white paint in water, and applying multiple times with a sponge to achieve the desired outcome.

Replaced the knobs with basic white ones, and also replaced internal door fasteners, as these were missing.

Total cost was under $100 for both, and they look great in my guest bedroom!

Materials

2023-12-3015.40.09318884506951192560.jpg

 x2 in eggshell white.

Interior Matt black sample pot to mix for the grey I wanted.

Washed out empty pasta jar to dilute paint, and thick sponges.

Tools

60-120 grit sanding discs for my Ozito orbital sander.

Same grit loose sandpaper to get into those corners

Assorted different sized brushes and rollers for different areas.

Steps

Step 1

Steps are fairly simple!

1. Sand back to remove previous stains/paints/grot. Disassemble cabinet as much as possible.

Step 2

2. Wash to remove any dust, let dry totally.

Step 3

3. Dilute paint at whichever ratio you want. I used a 50/50 ratio, because I did want the white to be seen, but the ratio needs to be paint and desired effect required.

Step 4

4. Paint other areas as required

Step 5

5. Reassemble, and screw in fittings.

Step 6

6. Step back and admire your amazing handiwork 

sara22au
Cultivating a Following

Re: Upcycled Bedside Tables

End product in my guest bedroom 😁

P_20231230_151217.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What a lovely project, @sara22au, and so great to see you save these from a terrible demise and put them to good use. Your transformation is enviable, and I trust many of our members will be inspired by your efforts.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sara22au
Cultivating a Following

Thanks! I'm just lucky I live in a town where this sort of recycling is common. In Japan it's a normal thing to do, and there's no reason other communities can't also adopt it😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects