Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled bookcase

lieselroberts
Building a Reputation

Upcycled bookcase

Hi all, I wanted to share this DIY project I did last year in lockdown. I love the VJ paneling so much, it was the whole reason for this upcycle.  

I bought the bookshelf off Facebook marketplace for $50. I sanded it down with 120 grit sandpaper, wiped the dust away and then painted 2 coats of British Paints prep 4 in 1 white. Finally finished it off with 3 coats of leftover Dulux natural white interior paint.  

IMG_3190.JPG

EE3AD2FF-E07C-43A8-B6FA-971451844B15.jpeg

D84B64EE-1D61-4D67-BC99-8EFF6421EEA9.jpeg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Upcycled bookcase

Looks incredible @lieselroberts, especially with your styling.

Thanks for sharing another beautiful project with us, and I look forward to seeing more.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lieselroberts

What a beautiful upcycled bookcase. That VJ Panel effect really stands out with the white paint. How has the paint held up? Are you still using it as a display and have you had to repair anything on it? Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated. 

Again, thank you for sharing your beautiful project with us.

Eric

Thank you so much, I appreciate your kind words. 

- Liesel x

lieselroberts
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot. I definitely agree, the VJ panels really do stand out!

The paint has held up really well, thanks to the British paints prep 4 in 1 (sealer, primer, undercoat and stain blocker) which is a crucial step in painting furniture. I upcycled this bookcase last year in lockdown and have moved my decor pieces around a lot since and it paint has remained intact. I haven’t had to repair or fix anything.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again, 

Liesel 

Mohamed1
Finding My Feet

EE826996-8197-45E9-9F76-8ED4E348BD0F.png

Looks awesome @lieselroberts

I’m looking to replicate what you’ve done with an already varnished bookcase just like yours but I wanted to paint it using some leftover liming white stain and varnish (see pictured).

Wanted to ask if there were any appropriate undercoats/primers that are clear and not too opaque because I want to have the look of the grain of the wood remain when I apply the stain and varnish?

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Mohamed1,

Hopefully, @lieselroberts might have some suggestions for you.

The Feast Watson 250ml Liming White Satin Stain & Varnish doesn't require a primer, but you'll need to sand your varnish to a dull finish. You can then apply the product, and you'll be able to see the wood grain through it. You can read more about the surface preparation and application for liming white here.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc,

That will make my job a lot easier then 😊

As always appreciate the tips, hopefully it comes up well! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects