Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled chest of drawers

Shaira
Building a Reputation

Upcycled chest of drawers

Industrial Themed Chest of Drawers

The lovely interior designer Rachael from Hermitage Staging gave me an exciting project to work on. She wanted me to up cycle a chest of drawers on industrial theme. I was so excited and set to work. 

First I got this lovely drawers which was well used but still a lot of life left.

4A78B4F9-4425-42D2-B0FD-4BE13E4DB3E0.png

Then  I gave it a good clean and removed the handles and placed them aside in a box.

Then I sanded the furniture and then the following day I left the top and  painted the drawers a lovely grey using a homemade chalk paint .  I did 3 quotes. 

finally I hand painted the numbers on the drawers to bring out the industrial elements. Eventually I sealed the drawers with 

gilly’s clear wax. 

2DC4188C-6E56-4DE5-90F6-F1564512219D.jpeg

For the top of the cabinet I applied gilly’s dark wax. Following day I added a bit different handles and staged it and took photos. 

2A28FE29-366D-4393-A133-C6D35D1AEDA7.jpeg

Rachael was very happy and she used it to stage a home and later she presented it at her son’s room 🙂

CEFAFF6F-9F64-4100-B55B-E70E85D15974.jpeg

                 The home she staged 

5D4BFF38-FD1B-4794-9978-B476D6E2DB75.jpeg

                Rachael’s son’s room

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upcycled chest of drawers

Hi @Shaira

Thank you so much for sharing this upcycling project. It blends in so well with the room. What was the brand of the chalk paint that you used? Did you use a template to do the numbers or did you do it freehand? Any tips you can share for those wishing to replicate your project would be much appreciated.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shaira
Building a Reputation

Re: Upcycled chest of drawers

Thank you so much Eric yes I used the free hand first I actually used a pencil n wrote the numbers keeping a ruler just to align it evenly . You can surely do this with a stencil too. 

the chalk paint brand is rust oleum for that I normally mix my colours n this time with country grey I added a bit of darker grey ( dulux) n I mixed.

yes love how the interior designer has layered out to match the rest of the furniture 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects