Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled fluted side table

TaylerMayd
Having an Impact

Upcycled fluted side table

I picked up this old side table for free on Facebook Marketplace. It was pretty run down, but I was drawn to its unique shape and wanted to give it new life! 

BeforeBefore

Materials

• Taubmans 3 in 1 prep primer
  • Mineral paint
  • Porta moulding
  • Gorilla wood glue
  • De-Solv-It sticky spot remover
  • Poly Stripper
  • Cabot’s water-based polyurethane 
  • Bamboo lid (for handle)
  • Super glue
  • Peel and stick drawer liner
  • Paint tape

Tools

• Ryobi orbital sander
  • Sanding discs
  • Ryobi multi tool
  • Paint brush
  • Mini Roller (4mm nap)
  • Scraper
  • Handsaw

Steps

Step 1

I started by giving the table a good clean with soap and water and used De-Solv-It sticky spot remover to remove the sticker residue from inside the drawer.

I then used poly stripper and a paint scraper to remove the varnish from the top, before sanding smooth with my Ryobi orbital sander. I scuff sanded the rest of the piece by hand, and primed with Taubmans 3 in 1 prep.

The drawer knob was glued on, so I removed this with a small handsaw and then sanded the surface flat.

1.jpg

Step 2

For the fluted feature on the front of the drawer, I used half round moulding, which I cut to size using my Ryobi multi-function tool. I then glued the moulding onto the drawer with wood glue.

3.jpg

Step 3

I painted the table and drawer using a brush and roller.

4.jpg5.jpg

Step 4

Once the paint was completely dry, I sealed the piece using Cabot's water-based polyurethane in matte, for added durability.

I used a bamboo jar lid as the handle, which I secured with super glue, and finished off the piece with peel and stick drawer liner!

8.jpg7.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upcycle - Fluted Side Table

Hello @TaylerMayd 

Thank you so much for sharing your upcycled fluted side table. What an amazing transformation, I love the colour you've chosen for the cabinet.  Can you please tell us what its' called? 

I totally agree that it has a very eye-catching shape and adding the porta moulding just modernizes the look of the table. The bamboo lid is a very clever choice for a handle. It provides a nice contrast to the overall colour of the table. 

Again, thank you for sharing such a marvellous project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Upcycle - Fluted Side Table

Thank you @EricL the colour is ‘Chestler’ by Fusion Mineral Paint :smile:

DIY4Knuckleheds
Making a Splash

Re: Upcycled fluted side table

Love the transformation...well done! 👍😁🇦🇺

Re: Upcycled fluted side table

Thanks a lot @DIY4Knuckleheds 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects