Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled nest of tables

kelarmstrong
Getting Established

Upcycled nest of tables

Destined for landfill but now with a new life! 

inbound2132228993441070776.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upcycled tables

Hello @kelarmstrong

Thank you for sharing your upcycled table project. These step-down tables were all the rage back in the day, it's great to see that you've given these tables a second chance. The timber top finish is wonderful, what sealer did you use on it and how long did the entire paint job take to finish?

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Eric, 

I love them. Always great to give a second life to furniture.  

I sanded the table top back with an orbital sander and then four coats of Monocel Waterbased Clear Wood Varnish. 

This is my favourite varnish I've used so far. It enhances the grain of the timber without making it an orange tinge which a lot of varnishes tend to do. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kelarmstrong

Thanks for that extra information about your upcycled tables. I'm sure our members who are planning their own upcycling project will find this information useful.

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@kelarmstrong 

Another amazing project and what a transformation of what were a pretty dated "nest of tables" as they are called. Can't believe how much more modern they now look.

Have you clear varnished the tops, the pine has come up real nice?

Did you sand and then just paint or strip the legs back too?

great job, I like them.

Cheers,

Barbara

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Baretta11

Thanks for clearing that up, I was racking my brain trying to remember what they were called! My aunt had the full set in high black gloss with glass centres.

Eric

@EricL 

Hi Eric,

We had a real bulky set that included a coffee table and two smaller tables that would fit underneath the coffee table although not too sure these came under the banner of nest of tables.

The traditional nest of tables were often used to display objects, usually a vase with flowers with some kind of pretty doily on top first ha-ha

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Baretta11

You are spot on the display part, my aunt had a beautiful jade dragon that was the centrepiece of the nested tables. For some reason, she always move that dragon to a higher table whenever I would play video games with my cousin.

Eric

@EricL 

Ha-ha I wonder why she felt the need to move it!!

Gosh back in the day of doilies and tablecloths. I use neither nowadays instead enjoying the beautiful timeber in my furniture and not covering it until there was a special occasion. I think crystal cabinets on not that popular anymore but I still have one with just a few curios and things that I want to keep near and dear. Some Royal Melb Show ribbons that my ponies won many years ago and some little trinkets that came to be along the way of life so not valuable, just memories of family mainly ha-ha

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects