Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled sideboard buffet

trinastanaway
Growing in Experience

Upcycled sideboard buffet

I saw the good bones of the piece for sale on marketplace and the beautiful timber hidden under an awful orange stain. The first step was to remove the glass panels from the doors, cut ply to the same size and glue on paintable wall paper, which was then inserted back into the doors. 

I used 60, 80, 120, 180 and 240 grit on an orbital sander to strip the top and shelves to expose the stunning grain. This was  followed by 2 coats of a stain mix of Cabot's Brazilian Roast and Cabothane Clear. An additional coat of Cabothane Clear was added to the top of the unit and topside of the shelves for durability.  

The remainder of the piece was primed using BINS primer, 2 coats of Dulux Surf'n'Dive and 3 coats of Cabot's Cabothane clear. 

This piece is one of my favourite pieces

20210717_100355.jpg

20210713_174502.jpg

  

received_828907778000822.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Upcycled sideboard buffet

Hi @trinastanaway,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your impeccable upcycled sideboard project with the community. You'll find Workshop is a great source of inspiration and helpful advice for all your DIY and gardening needs. 

I am just in love with your choice of placing painted wallpaper on the cupboard doors. Was that process difficult?

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @trinastanaway

A very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! We're thrilled to have you join us. As Katie mentioned above, this community is full of like-minded, creative D.I.Y. enthusiasts, and I am sure you will receive plenty of inspiration and good advice from our members. Please do let me know if you need a hand getting the most out of the site. 

Thank you for sharing this upcycled sideboard buffet. The transformation is stunning. I'm particularly loving that beautiful timber grain and those classy patterned doors. Looking at this and the entertainment unit makeover that you shared, it's obvious you've got a passion for upcycling and a creative vision that helps you explore the many possibilities of how a piece of furniture can be transformed. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what project you tackle next. Keep up the good work.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
trinastanaway
Growing in Experience

Oh thank you Katie. The wallpaper certainly makes the piece. Not difficult at all. It comes in small rolls, as easy as cutting paper,. Measure twice, cut once (or add it oversized and use a razor blade to trim to size). I added wood glue to the ply and the back of the wallpaper,  lined up one edge and pressed down with a freezer bag over my hand to avoid damaging the paper and removing air bubbles. 

Thank you so much Akanksha. It's wonderful to see so many talented creatives giving pieces a second life 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects