Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled wine barrel coffee table

pzenatti
Growing in Experience

Upcycled wine barrel coffee table

Hey all. My partner and I were looking for a coffee table for our home earlier this year and I wanted something rustic and different. That was when I saw a half wine barrel turned upside down in a restaurant and I had the idea of making my own coffee table.

I’ve purchased an old wine barrel and transformed into the table.
The first step was sanding the whole barrel to bring back the good oak, I used a belt sander and a 120 grit sand paper that o got at Bunnings. Then I secured cut the barrel in a half using a circular saw.

I wasn’t happy in only putting a glass top on it because could be nicer, so that’s when I decided to use some drawer slides on the bottom and open a small side door where I’d install a drawer with a wine rack.

For the drawer I’ve used 2 Goliath heavy duty drawer slides and a piece of metal and a wooden wine rack, all from Bunnings.

For the finishing I used a Walnut colour wooden stain and a interior satin varnish Cabots.

The last part was just setting the round glass on top and enjoy my table.

all done from my balcony and no carpenter experience.

Check out my process pictures. Thank you.

E475202F-C728-49C0-B9FF-60C2F63B6664.jpeg

0AC52A92-72F1-469E-A6FA-D4E00F7A533B.jpeg

2B05DE42-C74C-448F-AACD-12F494AD5DE4.png

C4132CB3-D5C3-48B8-80EC-477CA9497727.png

8641FED9-055A-4ACF-A288-3A4F0153D171.jpeg

8C73755B-F4D5-4FA7-A285-73BE420598DB.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upcycled wine barrel coffee table

Hello @pzenatti

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your coffee table wine barrel project.

What a clever design for the pull-out wine rack drawer. Thank you very much for sharing the pictures of your build progress and the steps you took to create the. When I first saw the drawer runners at the bottom of the barrel, I couldn't understand their purpose. It wasn't until you had placed the actual drawer on top and the bottles along with them did the picture finally make sense. 

It is such a clever way to hide the bottles and still use the barrel as a coffee table. The addition of the LED lights really adds to the overall wow factor of your project.      

Again, thank you for sharing your coffee table wine barrel project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
pzenatti
Growing in Experience

Re: Upcycled wine barrel coffee table

Hi @EricL Eric,

Yes, after I cut the barrel I thought would be nicer to have a drawer and use as a storage or a wine rack.

I'm happy that you liked.

Thank you.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects