Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Updated sandstone fireplace

jemma11
Having an Impact

Updated sandstone fireplace

Our house has a retro yellow toned fireplace in the middle of the living room. After years of disliking its heavy presence, I revamped it this weekend using a white wash. It’s made a dramatic difference, and it’s now a soft, contemporary feature I’m proud to have in the house. 
It’s a fairly simple process. I cleaned the stones then wetting each one with a spray bottle, painted each stone in a water based white paint which I’d thinned to the consistency of milk. I also painted the grout to tone it down.

0DB41D2C-B352-4F7E-B0E7-CA60C7CCCFD4.jpeg

AC004283-CF23-4B83-AB48-4AE3233A7A55.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Updated sandstone fireplace

Hi @jemma11,

First, let me extend a warm welcome from the Bunnings Workshop community. It is wonderful you have chosen to join us and share your updated fireplace. You'll find the Workshop community to be a great source for inspiration and advice on all things DIY and garden. If you ever have questions about the forum feel free to reach out. 

What a difference you have made with using the whitewash technique! It is absolutely stunning and I love how it is no longer hidden but featured in your home. How long did this project take to complete? Could someone do it in a week? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the welcome, Katie. Managed to do it over two very rainy afternoons while the kids climbed the walls around me :smile: 

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@jemma11 

Firstly welcome to the community.

Wow, wow and wow!!

If I hadn't seen the before photo I would have not believed this is the same fireplace/

The angles in the brickwork is now so much more obvious and takes centre stage as oposed to just being a stone wall.

Well done, I would be pretty proud of the job if it we me ha-ha

Cheers,

Barbara

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects