Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wainscoting - Feature wall

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Wainscoting - Feature wall

We've always appreciated the coziness of good wainscoting and decided to feature it in the main bedroom using trim pieces.

20220929_182651.jpg

20220929_182628.jpg

End result

Step 1.

We first designed and marked out the proportions of the rectangles to allow for balance and composition with the door height, windows (opposite wall) and general room layout. We used a laser level and tape to ensure accuracy. Took a few tries to get it right, but we nailed to balanced proportions!

20220911_131228.jpg

IMG-20220913-WA0000.jpg

Step 2

Using a mitre saw I cut the profiles pieces to size, gluing and nailing using a brad nail gun (to studs where available). This was great to line up the slightly bent pieces.

20220916_111222.jpg

20220916_131244.jpg

Step 3

We then filled out nail holes and the mitre corners with wood filler to allow for a neat and tidy finish. After it dried and a bit of sanding,  we then filled the gaps between the trim and plasterboard with gap filler.

20220916_150859.jpg

20220916_131225.jpg

Step 4

We then primed the trim and in preparation for painting the rest of the room and the installation of the new carpets.

End result 

20220929_182643.jpg

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wainscoting - Feature wall

Beautiful work @diy_hausdesigns! Such a simple project that adds so much interest to the room. I love the new carpets too. 

Thanks for running us through all the steps you took; I trust they'll be quite helpful for any of our members wishing to give this a go themselves.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looks great Rufaro (@diy_hausdesigns

Many thanks for sharing. I'm sure this will inspire and assist others. 

Jason

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Absolutely inspirational @diy_hausdesigns! I think your proportions are spot on. This project is something we are looking to do in my home, was there anything we should keep in mind when doing the wainscoting? 

Katie

homeinmelbourne
Becoming a Leader

Well done @diy_hausdesigns ! It looks great! 

Thanks @MitchellMc the carpets completed the room very well! 

----

Hi @KatieC 

Thank you very much. We are pretty happy with it. Some of the trim pieces were bowed so we found it helpful to keep that in mind when cutting the longer and shorter pieces !

Beat of luck 

----

Thanks @homeinmelbourne 

Just giving it a good go 🤣

----
mgarrett
Finding My Feet

Love it have been wanting to do this for my bedroom You make it look very easy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Let me mention @diy_hausdesigns, so they are alerted to your kind comment @mgarrett. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have, as I'm sure our helpful and knowledgeable members will be more than happy to assist. Although @diy_hausdesigns does make it look easy, with patience and attention to detail, a feature wall like this is possible in anyone's home. If you'd like to try this yourself, just let us know, and we'll help you make it happen.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects