Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wall mount tv unit

eriktank
Cultivating a Following

Wall mount tv unit

20190907_150833.jpgMade an attempt at my own wall mounted tv unit. 

Reused the glass shelf from the old tv unit, and finished it off with some LED them lighting.

I think it turned out alright👍

20190906_130824.jpg

20190906_153623.jpg

IMG_20190907_154043_471.jpg

20190907_151951.jpg

After....After....

20190907_150833.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Wall mount tv unit

Looks brilliant @eriktank, congratulations and many thanks for sharing. I'm sure your work will inspire others. It's fantastic to have you join the Workshop community and I trust you'll receive plenty of helpful advice, information and inspiration for new projects from our clever and creative members. 

Welcome to Workshop, and please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
chriskuta
Growing in Experience

Looks really good, I'm looking to do a similar thing in my new house. 

Fantastic craftsmanship! Very elegant.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

0zeero
Finding My Feet

That looks really awesome @eriktank ! great job.

Would mind letting us know what mechanism you used to attach unit to the wall?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @0zeero.

It's fantastic to have you join us. I'm sure @eriktank really appreciates your feedback and hopefully can respond with an answer about mounting.

With a unit this size and weight I would advise fixing directly into timber studs. A suitable fixing would be Buildex 14-10 x 75mm Zinc Plated Bugle Head Batten Timber Screws 25 Pack which could be countersunk into the timber and the heads filled over with timber putty. Alternatively, if you had a brick wall you could utilise Ramset 10 x 75mm Countersunk Dynabolt Plus Masonry Anchors to fix the unit to the wall.  

I trust you'll find loads of inspirational projects on the site, similar to this one, contributed by our very talented members. If you ever need any advice or have something to share with the community please let us know.

If you needed further advice or had other questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell for the great tips. I am really liking the site and awesome project everyone is posting.

I have the gyprock wall, so yes i would have to find the studs. Just the alignment would be a bit of challenge. I will check the studs in wall and see what works best.

eriktank
Cultivating a Following

Hi @0zeero,

Thanks for your feedback on my TV unit.

As Mitchell has mentioned you can use bugle screws at 75mm or 100mm fixing into the wall studs and finishing them flush.

I used ×4 timber hex bolt head screws @ 75mm long and obviously 600mm apart(in line with studs). I also used a 50mm round washer under the head of the screws to distribute the load on the TV unit.

I painted the screws and washers black to keep with the theme and it blends in with the timber lacquer. 

Thanks for the feedback. Cheers

Thanks @eriktank ,

Thank you for the details. Washers is really good idea. Hoping to find some time for this project! :laugh:

jasejw
Growing in Experience

Hello @eriktank - Can I ask how you positioned the unit whilst you drilled through (I assume) the back piece of the timber? I was thinking of using z hanger brackets or timber french cleat but whatever is easier. Can you also explain how the washer helps? I can't picture what it does except stop the screw head pushing into the timber. Thanks! Jason. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects