Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What adhesive is recommended for gluing a kit entertainment unit together?

dennisj46
Just Starting Out

What adhesive is recommended for gluing a kit entertainment unit together?

I wish to add glue to the entertainment unit to strengethen it.  The unit is made of laminated particle board.  I suspect that higher viscosity is one of the requirements.  Are there any others?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What adhesive/glue is recommended for gluing a kit entertainment unit together?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dennisj46. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

It would help our members give some expert advice if you could post an image of the joints you would like to strengthen. Is this an already assembled unit or one that you are going to build? Are the surfaces to be glued particle board, or will you be glueing the laminated surface? 

In either case, I would advise to apply glue to the mating surfaces and then tighten the mechanical fixing to close the joint. PVA glue would be suitable for adhering particle board together, or you might like to use Selleys 460ml Aquadhere Durabond PVA Wood Glue as it is a high-strength polyurethane product and stronger than the PVA. You'll find most glues will not adhere to a laminated surface, as it is very smooth and doesn't allow the glue to penetrate. You could try clear Liquid Nails on the laminated surface, but you might want to roughen it up first with some 80 grit sandpaper to key the surface.

I look forward to hearing further details about your project and providing assistance along the way.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects